Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjohnf
Contributor
Message 41 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

Hi Peecekeeper/Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in Australia, so chatting, if you mean by phone?, is tough. My operating system is Windows 7 and the McF security center tells me I have version 11.6.

Looked in Services and don't see anything called base filtering engine.

Most grateful for anyd help in fixing registry problem.

John

Peacekeeper
Message 42 of 232

I am in Australia as well and chatting free they give you an 1800 number when you fill out the service request details.

You need the techs to fix your registry as the base filtering engine and windows firewall have to be in the services list and running.

Call them and maybe a reinstall would fix this. Have you tried?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

I pinged Karthiks so he will probably Private message or email you to arrange time to fix the issue if you want to wait..

1 thing why are you still on 11.6? Who did you get your Mcafee from I assume 1 of the partners such as dell etc as 12.1 been out for 6 mths or more.

jjohnf
Contributor
Message 43 of 232

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll wait and see what Karthiks says today and then maybe try to reinstall later. As to my version, I just updated my sub with mcf, so maybe the old version is still running, though I thought it expired yesterday.

Cheers

John

Peacekeeper
Message 44 of 232

Really your old version should have been removed  then new version installed. MCPR does that but you need to remove via control; p[anel first as running MCPR the removal tool well does not remove the licence so Mcafee still thinks it is in use.

jjohnf
Contributor
Message 45 of 232

Hi Tony,

I installed/reinstalled new sub from Mcf website, and see that the firewall version is 12.6, but of course it's turned off. I've had a look at instructions to restore the Base Filtering Engine, as a first step to restoring the firewall, and thought to have a go at that - does not look too hard -  after I have set a system restore point. Any thoughts there?

Cheers

John

karthiks
Former Member
Message 46 of 232

John,

I have sent you a private message asking for some details, please reply back

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 232

Just reconfirming you got 12.6? Or 11.1. asking as 12.6 WAS in beta last I was told.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/06/13 3:03:14 PM
jasb
Former Member
Message 48 of 232

My firewall also turns itself off. I Ihave  McAfee Security Centre version 11.6, Virus Scan 15.6, Personal Firewall 12.6, Antispam 12.6, Quickclean and shredder 11.6 , Parental controls 13.6.

Windows firewall is on though. Windows Firewall and Base Filtering Engine are both in the 'Started' and 'Automatic' positions.

I tried the steps below but in step 4 "Start" was already set to have value '2'

If you are having issue of Firewall keeps off and cannot be turned on, please try following steps:

1. Double click on McAfee icon on desktop or in system tray;
  2. Click "Navigation" on top-right, click "General Settings and Alerts" under Settings, click "Access Protection", uncheck "Use Access Protection", click "Apply" button.
  3. Press <WIN>+<R>, type "regedit.exe", press <ENTER>. If Windows prompts whether to run the program, answer "Yes".
  4. In Registry Editor, navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\McMPFSvc, double click on "Start" on the right, change its value to 2, click "OK" button.
  5. In Registry Editor, if there is a sub-key named "Security" under key "McMPFSvc", right click on it and select "Delete" from menu. Warning: please make sure right click on "Security", not "McMPFSvc".
  6. Close Registry Editor, re-enable Access Protection by reverting what has been done in step 2, reboot machine.
  7. After reboot, open McAfee Security Center, click "Navigation", then "Firewall" to make sure Firewall is now ON.

Firewall.png

I don't know what else to try

jjohnf
Contributor
Message 49 of 232

All good now thanks to Karthiks, great guy, very helpful. My problem was that I had no BFE, which K downloaded and set up in the registry, and no windows firewall, which he also fixed. Once done McAfee firewall turned back on. so my problem was with windows and probably due to a trojan, which might have got in via Adobe. Don't know about that. My advice to you people with a similar prob is to view your services, via the start menu, look for BFE and if it ain't there, call for Kathiks.

Peacekeeper
Message 50 of 232

If Karthiks does not contact best to call support as your issue not the same as jjohnf's . You seem to have the services so something else  the cause here.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community