jeannelo
Former Member
Message 201 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

me too! How did you get help?

Peacekeeper
Message 202 of 232

So yours is the same as teggs-67 ie services are there and started and automatic? This a not normal case usual;ly they are not there or stopped. that is why I made the suggestions I did try them tham call support if they do not assist you. At least you will have the reinstall done and that will save them trying that.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

myohmy
Contributor
Message 203 of 232

I have a similar problem as described throughout this thread; McAfee says it's a virus and would like me to give them $89 to remove it- not my first choice!

After going through most of this thread, calling support twice, running scans with Hitman Pro, Getsusp, Stinger, Fixit, this is the first post where I feel like I made a little bit of progress- my Windows Firewall is back on!

I'll be back at this problem after work to see if I can get McAfee Firewall to stabilize, but I wanted to thank you for posting this.

shonabby
Former Member
Message 204 of 232

I paid for the extra service, meaning after aleady having a paid subscription with McAfee for several years, when I REALLY needed them, I had to pay $200 to have them help.Then, after a frustrating 3 days of failure, and denying it was a virus, though MS confirmed it was, , I called Microsoft. On the phone, they passed the buck to the Microsoft store  I packed up the ailing computer and found a Microsoft store 12 miles away  I left it with them on Friday. Sunday they called me say they did a system recovery, meaning two things...... they reinstalled windows to get rid of the problem which deletes all the programs I installed, but saved my data. The second thing is the money and time I spent on McAffees "top-of-the-line" elite service was a bunch of bunk. I want my money back, and, after I make my trip back to the Microsoft storeto retrieve my weary desktop, I will demand it. 3 times I needed McAfee for pretty much the same problem, and two times they failed, miserably.    After reading all these posts, if you deduce your problem is the same, save yourself time, lots of time, back up all of your files, and do the soft recovery yourself  it is simlle  Also, research, and try to find the best antivirus software, because , all the money I threw at Mcafee, in the long run, was a total waste. The moderator on this sight was more helpful, and he (they) never even saw my computer. Good luck 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 205 of 232

My sympathies, but we can't do anything about refunds here.  Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed as you've found out. 

You'll have to speak to Customer Service:  http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 206 of 232

I spent the better part of the day on Saturday with McAfee techs for this same firewall problem.  I am running Win XP SP 3.  McAfee version 12.1, build 12.1.353.  The first tech took control of my computer and did some things and then uninstalled via MCPR and reinstalled from my account.  At that point everything seemed to be OK.  Firewall was back apparently.  But then when I did a restart, I found that I had lost my Internet connection.

I called McAfee again, and after trying a few things with pinging, etc. the tech told me that I had to check with my ISP provider since it was not a McAfee problem.  This was after I told the tech that my two other laptops plus other devices (3 Kindles, 2 I-pods) were connecting wirelessly with the Internet perfectly fine.

So since McAfee tech support was totally useless in this case (and actually made things worse), I decided to try what I thought might be the solution in the first place which was to do a system restore.  Since I knew when McAfee had stopped logging incoming events by going to "Security History" under the Navigation tab, I performed a system restore to a date a couple of days prior to that.  After the computer restarted and downloaded all the updates that had occurred since then (McAfee, Microsoft, Java, etc.) it turned out that LO AND BEHOLD, IT WORKED!!!!  I had my Internet connection back, McAfee firewall was back on, and it started logging in suspicious incoming connections which it had not done since June 5!!!

I did a couple of restarts after that to make sure that it was not just a fluke, and it was still working after doing that.  There still remains an issue with the computer not always shutting down and requiring a forced shutdown, but for now at least, it appears that things are working OK again.

Obviously, I'm happy with the outcome but at this point was it was with no thanks to McAfee tech support.  They not only were of no help, but they actually made things worse and then washed their hands of it by telling me to contact my ISP provider about the Internet connection even though every other Internet enabled device that I have was connecting perfectly fine, so it was obviously not a problem with my ISP.  Needless to say, I was very disappointed with the way McAfee handled my issue.  I would never call them again for tech support.  You might as well be on your own.

By the way, just as an aside for Peter, when the first McAfee tech took control of my computer and saw that I had the free version of Malwarebytes, she said that Malwarebytes interferes with McAfee and she removed the program from my system.  I told her that the moderators recommend using Malwarebytes for suspected malware, but this particular tech said that you should not use it.

Message was edited by: beatlefan on 6/24/13 7:33:20 AM CDT

Message was edited by: beatlefan on 6/24/13 8:23:51 AM CDT

Message was edited by: beatlefan on 6/24/13 9:40:33 AM CDT
jeannelo
Former Member
Message 207 of 232

Thanks Peacekeeper and everyone who responded. I did exactly what you suggested here. After reading several threads and talking to the original installer at Office Max 2x and spending several hours trouble shooting, I went to McAfee Virtual Tech @ http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

The service was free. 🙂 They used 'go-to assist' for remote access and I sat back and watched! NICE! After Service Tech I concluded it was a registry permission issue, which would require a Service Tech II, it was a seamless transition in 'go to assist.' Tech II took over and in a matter of 6 minutes they were done. I was amazed how fast my issue was taken care of and found myself wanting to learn more. They followed up with a phone call to say it was all good. Since I had just reinstalled Windows 7 after wiping everything clean, and my subscription was new, I thought maybe it was caused by an update  which was what the tech suggested as a possibility as well.

Its interesting to note when the  firewall turns itself on and off is  not always the result of one specific problem at its source.

I hope this will help someone else find a solution.

Jeannelo

jeannelo
Former Member
Message 208 of 232

Beatlefan thanks for the response

Oh no the dreaded "contact your ISP"

I am thoroughly convinced that it is "who you get" on the other end of tech support that makes all the difference. I was lucky yesterday. I have experienced what you call useless support in the past with many entities not just McAfee. Chances are you will get someone good next time however it seems there are so many opinions out there as well. I think we have to just learn as we go and sometimes we listen to one person and they were right and another time we make the mistake of following someones advice and things can go downhill really fast. I have used recovery options and have restored to an earlier date which helps when I cant seem to get help. But this time I was lucky. I wish you all the best!

Jeannelo

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 209 of 232

Jeannelo glad your issue stands resolved.

Beatlefan- Sorry you had a "not so good" experience at support- this is certainly not the way we would like our support to be all customers must have the same delightful experience every time they reach out for help.

if you could kindly PM me your reference number i might be able to check and see what happened and share it to the concerned team as a feedback from your end.

once again apologize for what happened to you. Some times complicated issues might require multiple service providers to help you out or the issues themselves might pose some unique challenges themselves neverthless we would like to take a look at it and see if there is something we might be able to learn to serve our customers better.

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 210 of 232

shonabby,

I have send you a PM

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community