cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shonabby
Former Member
Message 211 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

You guys in the community were fine. Helpful and  concerned. Mcafee extra paid support, and the mcafee appointment, for that matter, were not helpful, 2 out of 3 times, with the same problem, each time. Predictably, when the couldn't solve it, they blamed Microsoft  any layman could tell it's a virus that was blocking every different angle they tried  a corrupt windows file doesn't do that,  but instead McAfee gave up on me. Microsoft showed me it had been a virus, just as I already knew.  Look, 33% success on such an unbelievably expensive product, is, in fact, failure. The community did its best, as , perhaps, the high level techs did. As a do dimer, I shall look for better odds elsewhere. Good luck, all.

shonabby
Former Member
Message 212 of 232

Please excuse my auto correct  it should be, "McAfee application", and,  "as a consumer"

shonabby
Former Member
Message 213 of 232

Oops  I just noticed another.  I'm not a do dimer.  I'm a consumer. Be well, all. 

Peacekeeper
Message 214 of 232

So you are ok now virus free? BTW did you find out which virus/malware you had?

shonabby
Former Member
Message 215 of 232

Microsoft never told me. It was some sort  it group control thing  it is back to normal, after spending the day reinstalling my apps. Thanks for asking. What a nightmare, folks.

spudswife
Contributor
Message 216 of 232

I have been skimming through these posts and seem to have the same problem as many others-- my firewall keeps turning off. Initially I didn't have BFE or windows firewall, but the tech at McAfee helped reinstall those (after removing AdAware, which he claimed caused the problem, even though the firewall problem started months later). He then said there was a 50% chance I had a virus and referred me to the antivirus people. When I balked at paying the $90, they had me run GetSusp, Rootkit remover, and Stinger-- none found anything.  I'm now trying more self-help but would appreciate some guidance from the community here-- when i run services.msc, it shows BFE and windows firewall as automatic, but i cannot start either. The BFE gives me error 5. The Windows Firewall gives me Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. I tried to follow the instructions in post 31 and edited the registry to add MpsSvc, but that hasn't changed anything. I'm not a computer whiz so will need very clear step by step instructions if there is something I can do on my own; if not, to whom should I turn for help?  Thanks!

shantivan
Former Member
Message 217 of 232

Spudwife I had the similar problem. I called the McAfee technician and he reinstalled my whole of the total protection and after words for a day or two the firewall was going off and on. However, when I did the whole computer scanning which took more than an hour or so, the firewall stopped going on and off. Do not waste any money but keep scanning for virus and pray lol

newbepaul
Former Member
Message 218 of 232

Any thought when I spent time with Tech removed internet security as asked then reinstalled only to get Firewall Off message repeatly?

Peacekeeper
Message 219 of 232

ALL scan also with malwarebytes the free version NOT the trial of the full version as this will clash with Mcafee.. Do this and some of the other programs here and see if they find anything. That said re error 5 read post 52 to 55 that shows what to do for that error.

If you are missing either or both of the services Base Filtering Engine and Windows firewall read the notice at the top of this firewall forum.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/06/13 7:19:06 AM
shantivan
Former Member
Message 220 of 232

Windows seems to be the problem as I speculate

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community