cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 181 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/windows-7-security-center-servic...

Makes some suggestions

Confirming all malware off

Remove mcafee  fully as per http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Run system file checker SFC

run fixit if the service returns

reinstall Mcafee

Above a suggestion till vinod returns

nkiesow
Contributor
Message 182 of 232

Thanks Peacekeeper - will try tomorrow when I get a chance!

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 183 of 232

Ran the new MVT last night as you suggested.  Still could not fix firewall problem.  Went to services.msc and McAfee firewall is shown as disabled.  Clicked on "Properties" and tried to get it to turn on, but it said "Access Denied".  As I said previously, fixit didn't work either.

Maybe when McAfee sends out the next firewall update (last one was on May 24) that will fix the problem.  If not, I'll try an uninstall/reinstall.  Finally, if that doesn't work, I may just finally give up on the whole thing.  I was already thinking about getting rid of my 8 year old XP machine anyway before all this started (I would need to do it by April 2014 in any event when Microsoft will no longer support XP) so maybe I'll just do it a bit sooner.  If I do that, whatever system I replace it with will not include McAfee.

McAfee had been very reliable from 2005 when I first got it until about a year ago when it became more like having a second job.  The time required to fix bad updates and other problems is just getting to be too much.  AV software is supposed to help the user, not fight them.  Maybe it's also because McAfee is becoming less compatible with older OS such as XP since it seems to work OK (for now at least) on my Windows 7 machine.

In any event, I'm just getting a bit tired of struggling with McAfee. 

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 184 of 232

Kindly try the steps on post 180 if you have already tried the Fixit solutions provided earlier....

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 185 of 232

XP users.. please note:

after FIXIT is run- you may have to re-install the McAfee products.

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 186 of 232

Regarding post 180 - what is system file checker SFC and how do I run it?  I'm not familiar with that.

Peacekeeper
Message 187 of 232

for xp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.m...

and deeper discussion

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

In MVT did you see file errors this a bug I think.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/06/13 7:08:16 AM
shonabby
Former Member
Message 188 of 232

I have had the virus 3 times from browsing disreputable sites. It's a virus. First time, you fixed it after I paid for the deluxe service. 2nd time, they couldn't fix it (same problem, firewall saying it's in when it's off and not allowing me to then it on)  I did a system restore from a safe earlier point, and it worked fine. This tome, when I try to do a system restore, I get an error message saying that it can't work with a file in Windows Defender. I renamed all the windows defenders folders and tried again from a different restore point. I keep getting the same error message about Windows Defender, even though it doesn't exist.

When I call McAfee support that I paid extra for, they still start me at a lower levels technician. It takes hours for them to take control of my computer and then search around as if this is a new problem. After frustrating time, they finally send me up to higher-level technicians. Why doesn't McAfee have my history and see what has work and haven't worked? Why do I have to spend hours on lower level technicians, when it is the same problem as before, and I have paid $100 of dollars for McAfee protection. I dread calling them now, because of this procedure.  I see several people have the same virus. You are in antivirus company and this problem has been around a long time. I would like an expert to work with me from the beginning, because I have a history already, and I have paid so much for protection.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 189 of 232

It's not necessarily any kind of malware.  The problem can be caused by a number of things and one of them is a problem with some Microsoft components which is dealt with using the fixit mentioned earlier or shown linked in an Announcement at the top of the main Personal Firewall section.

Changing Windows Defender, or any other Windows files and folders is extremely unwise and can only result in more and more errors surfacing.   Windows Defender files should not be touched.   The same result happens when registry cleaners are run at 100% clean settings without checking what they are "cleaning".

If the Microsoft Fixit or Win 8 equivalent does not work then you should perhaps be also posting for help on a reliable Windows OS Help forum.  I believe you run Windows 8 in which case this is a good spot to ask:  http://www.eightforums.com/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/06/13 8:13:21 EDT AM
shonabby
Former Member
Message 190 of 232

First of all, I have a history< as I wrote, of this EXACT same problem happening two times before, so The "experts" at McAfee have already determined it is a "virus", and they even fixed it, once. The problem is that they attack it as if it is completely new problem. They try to fix it willy-niily, taking hours to come to a point that, if they only kept records , they could have started at hours earlier.

Secondly, I restored the defender files to their original spot and took off the 1 and 2 i added to the folder names.

My point is, since it is the EXACT same problem, it only makes sense to try to solve it from where you left off before. Maybe the virus got tougher. But don't start from scratch and spend hours getting nowhere finding out things you already found out before.

Your suggestion shows this mindset. I explained it was dealt with twice by McAfee, acknowledging from actual experience battling it, that this is a "virus", and not a Microsoft problem, and yet, i get the wrote suggestions .

So, when I call My multi-hundred dolar support staff, I ave a right to expect that they have a record of the several hours of work they did before on this problem, and take it from there. I am being totally reasonable.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community