Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkiesow
Contributor
Message 161 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

Hello Peacekeeper,

Okay, here is the screenshot of the popup. I can not find any way to see what it found? So not sure what the "virus" is.

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 16 09.17.gif

Per ex-Brit's post #104, I uninstalled McAfee, ran the MCPR cleanup tool and restarted. When I tried to do the Microsoft Fixit, I get this at the end:

ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 16 09.20.gif

So what should I do now? 

PS - I also noticed an important message about Windows Security Service - that the Windows Security Service is turned off. When I click on "Turn On Now", I get this:

ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 16 09.27.gif

There is no "Security Service" listed in services.msc - neither do I have BFE or Windows Firewall. I feel so unprotected...

Peacekeeper
Message 162 of 232

two things call support now and let them try to sort this out it is not normal even foe firewall issues. that said I will PM vinod_r2 and get him back here to help.

read this might help as well

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/the-windows-security-center-serv...

bartman12345
Former Member
Message 163 of 232

New to the forum. Running XP O/S and Internet Security.  I have the same issue w/ no BFE and MPFP continually shutting off.  MVT identifies but cannot fix the MPFP service Disabled issue. 

As per instructions, I uninstalled McAfee Internet Security, ran MCPR, rebooted after each step, then ran Fixit (twice).  Fixit found no problems!  Still no BFE.  I checked the Internet for manual registry fixes, but there are no references to BFE fixes for XP (only Vista and Win7)  Any suggestions?

nkiesow
Contributor
Message 164 of 232

Sorry if this is a silly question, but would that be McAfee or Microsoft support to call??

Peacekeeper
Message 165 of 232

Mcafee

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Any tried posts 51-55 suggestions if fixit fails

Asked for more Mcafee assistance here

on 17/06/13 6:22:38 PM
phantom391
Contributor
Message 166 of 232

I just went through this, it started 6/13 , by the 6/14 still no firewall, I called T/S , the tech wanted access to my computer so I agreed, only to have him inform me this was a Browser problem ? and it would be best to consult Microsoft. By 6/15 I'd spent a few hours using the little know how I have to no avail. I came across the add for " $89.95 We will get rid of any Virus " on the McAfee website. I went through all the baloney and made the call to the tech support, He informed me he would have to access my computer, I agreed, after a few minutes he said this would take him some time to complete. I was able to watch the process that he did (atleast most of it) and almost 2hrs later he had it working like new, Even Updated the anti virus, saved some help material to my favorites, and gave me several different phone numbers and web address's to go to if any further problems. Yes I thought why should I pay 90 buck's after having a subscription?, It's like the tech told me when I barked this at him, They can't catch every single thing floating around out there, IE hackers etc, and I agree, to think this in my opinion is trying to live in a perfect world. compared to the " Dell Authorized Dealer I had called, Who informed me that the Hard drive " Might" have to come out. $90.00 was a deal.

Peacekeeper
Message 167 of 232

So yours was caused by a virus in watching him did you note what he ran to remove it and what the malware was?

At least with the malware removal price if they do not find anything there is no cost so I hear.

Firewalls off is usually malware or a clash with another firewall/scanner.

good luck glad you got it fixed.

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 168 of 232

I'm also having firewall problems.  Firewall keeps turning off.  Even after I turn it back on and McAfee shows green, if I go to Firewall settings, it still says my firewall is off.  I have Win XP, SP3.

I ran Malwarebytes and it found 4 items which it quarantined.  I ran a full McAfee virus scan which came up clean, but I still have the problem.  I'm still planning to do an uninstall/reinstall which I have not yet done since all of these steps take time and I can't do all of it in one sitting.

In the meantime, I have turned on the Windows firewall which had been off because McAfee firewall was default firewall.  McAfee firewall on my Windows 7 SP1 machine seems to be working OK and Windows firewall is off on that machine which says that McAfee firewall is controlling the settings.

My real question is, while I'm trying to sort out the McAfee firewall issues, does Windows firewall offer sufficient security that I can consider my computer to be safe from hackers (at least to the extent that I didn't worry about it before McAfee firewall started acting up - I know that nothing is absolutely 100% safe)?  I have not done any online purchases or financial transactions on the affected computer since this all started.  Are there any thoughts as to whether or not such transactions would be safe with Windows firewall enabled in place of McAfee firewall?

My other question is, assuming that I get McAfee firewall issues fixed at some point, I suppose that I should turn off Windows firewall as it was before since again McAfee would be the controlling firewall, is that correct?

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 169 of 232

When McAfee Firewall is running the Windows firewall has little role to play... Hence if you see a message on windows security centre stating McAfee Firewall i would not be worried...

For people having issues on the firewall please try the fixit... if it fails to fix the issue... reinstall the McAfee product after that.. during the cleanup ensure you install all the windows updates etc...

kindly post back with details.

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 170 of 232

nkiesow,

Please see if below Fixit helps the Windows Security issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519899

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community