Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swapnil1982
Former Member
Message 31 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

Hi Karthik,

I too was facing similar issue..my Mcafee firewall kept turning off time and again and so I contacted Live Chat support of Mcafee. Two Tier1 technicians tried and got my Mcafee total protection 2012 uninstalled and then asked me to download the installation exe again and have it installed. But the issue is the exe doesnt get downloaded 100%. I tried with multiple browsers and it gets stuck after completing 97% download. I again contacted Mcafee live chat and they escalated the issue to Tier2. The Tier 2 personnel too tried but could not get it downloaded 100% forget get it installed. Now I have ended up uninstalling my Mcafee without any solution to install it back and my laptop is currently without any anti-virus. Please let me know if anything can be done to get Mcafee installed back on my machine.

Regards,

Swapnil

dba-g
Former Member
Message 32 of 232

I found a solution on Microsoft.com that fixed the 'firewall won't stay on' problem on my PC at least ...

Cause

This may be caused because the “NT Service\MpsSvc” account does not have adequate permissions on the following registry key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

Solution

1. In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess
  2. Right click SharedAccess, and click Permissions.
  3. Click Add.
  4. In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\mpssvc”. Then click Check Names. The name should change to MpsSvc
  5. Click OK.
  6. Select Full Control in the Allow column.
  7. Click OK.

Applies To

Windows 7 (all versions) / Windows Vista (all versions)

karthiks
Former Member
Message 33 of 232

swapnil1982,

Before you reinstall the McAfee you need to ensure the Windows Firewall is working fine or not.

I will provide you some steps to check the installation issue, but before that I would like to know the status of windows firewall.

Checked the Tier I documentation found that you are using Windows Vista OS with cable connection

Click on Start -> type services.msc in the start search and click on services.msc at the top of the pane to open the services window

Start Search.JPG

In Services windows find the below services and check both are in started & automatic

Base Filtering Engine

Windows Firewall Service

If the above services are not in started & automatic, double click on the service and change the start up type to automatic and then try to start the service.

If you are unable to start post me the error with a screen shot. At the same time let me know if everything above works fine.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 34 of 232

dba-g,

First of all I really appreciate for posting one of the workaround to fix firewall issues.

The fix that you posted above is to repair the windows firewall error code 5. Sometimes in Mcafee firewall issues, when starting the Windows Firewall it throw an error code 5, it is because of missing shared access registry sub keys and permissions.

So we can use your fix only if windows firewall throws an error code 5 when starting it in Services.msc

patrick1988
Contributor
Message 35 of 232

Hi Karthiks,

I've been reading the above and unfortunately I too am having similar problems.

I've have checked services and both the Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Service are set to automatic. I can start the Base Filtering Engine but not Windows Firewall Service and I get error code 5.

Screenie1.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Patrick

Peacekeeper
Message 36 of 232

Did you try the registry fix in post 31 above or do you want karthiks to do it for you?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/04/13 6:56:17 AM
patrick1988
Contributor
Message 37 of 232

No need for Karthiks to fix it everything now seems to working thanks to post 31.

The first time round I must of been doing something wrong!

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Peacekeeper
Message 38 of 232

No problem just some users are a tad wary of registry editing. glad yours now ok.

jjohnf
Contributor
Message 39 of 232

Hi guys,

I can't turn my firewall on eiother. I followd the instruction given ealier to go to services and restart my windows firewall, but windows firewall did not figure anywhere in the list of services. I tried it with McAfee, which was listed, and had not joy there. I did run virtual technician and the id is 46800430, if anyone out there, either working for Mcf or anyone else,  can help.

Cheers

jjohnf

Peacekeeper
Message 40 of 232

You need Karthiks to call you to fix an issue in your registry. That or call support and tell them about the issue. Pinged him in case he misses your post.

Oh have you got base filtering engine installed in services and if so is it running and auto?

Also post your operating system and Mcafee version.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/04/13 6:21:52 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community