cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billtowne
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Firewall freezes up my computer

My computer has been freequently getting very slow and freezing up for several minutes at a time as I try to watch video, such as the Daily Show.  It will then run for about 30 seconds and then freeze again. 

I checked the Task Manager, and McSvHost.exe was almost always using a lot of resources and really racking up the page faults.  So I tried disabling various parts of McAfee and found that if I disabled the Firewall, then the video would start running normally.  So I assume that something about the Firewall is using some limited resource.  It can take a while to turn off the firewall since the computer is quit slow on most thngs, not just video.

I have always felt that McAfee was slowing down my comuter but this extreme problem is relatively new and may be related to a recent update. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: Firewall freezes up my computer

This fix is in a patch that was to be released today but they found a bug in it. The offending feature is netguard so disabling it ( a firewall feature) should allow normal use of the pc till the patch is released. Many have done this and got a workaround. Ok the firewall loses a feature but as long as you have Siteadvisor active things should not be a worry.

The old 2010 firewall never had this feature and it was safe.

billtowne
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your suggestion.  I have turned off my netguard.  I will periodically turn it on to see if problem  has been patched.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

The builds you need are

McAfee Security Center

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.678

XP-SP3

Firewall was also updated with that update - 12.0.355

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

The McAfee updates arrived here in the UK about 6 hours ago. If I remember the release schedule correctly the US and Canada will get them in a day or two.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

They actually started there and in Uk last Tuesday just they were throttled so only a small % users got it each update check.

So is everything Ok now re mcsvhost if you had it that is? I assume the net issue is still there?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/06/12 4:04:24 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community