Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuchel
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Firewall blocking my router on desktop XP machine

PROGRESS!! 

I replaced the router with the problematic one earlier today just to try all suggestions that had been put my way and the desktop PC was found on the network instantly, by 1 laptop and all Xbox's.

One Laptop is still giving me an issue seeing the other laptop but its such a small issue that is rarely used I'm not that bothered ATM.

Don't really know where to go from here now...... how could this happen without changing any firewall settings?? Im happy but baffled!!

Many thanks to all for their suggestions. Much appreciated.

The problem has not totally gone away just changed. What should i do with regards to this thread now??

Stuart

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 12 of 17

Re: Firewall blocking my router on desktop XP machine

stuchel wrote:

PROGRESS!! 

I replaced the router with the problematic one earlier today just to try all suggestions that had been put my way and the desktop PC was found on the network instantly, by 1 laptop and all Xbox's.

One Laptop is still giving me an issue seeing the other laptop but its such a small issue that is rarely used I'm not that bothered ATM.

Don't really know where to go from here now...... how could this happen without changing any firewall settings?? Im happy but baffled!!

Many thanks to all for their suggestions. Much appreciated.

The problem has not totally gone away just changed. What should i do with regards to this thread now??

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

When using the D-Link Router, was WLAN checked? If so, uncheck it. That can keep computers from seeing one another.

stuchel
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

I'm unsure.... whereabouts on the UI would this be please?? If you could point this out i will check at my next available opportunity.

Thanks

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 14 of 17

Re: Firewall blocking my router on desktop XP machine

stuchel wrote:

I'm unsure.... whereabouts on the UI would this be please?? If you could point this out i will check at my next available opportunity.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,

From a D-Link DIR-655 Router, what I am talking about is located on this Settings Page:

http://192.168.0.1/Advanced/Advanced_Wireless.shtml

stuchel
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

I found what you were suggesting in the UI and WLAN wasnt checked, i could see how this may have caused the issue but as some computers WERE actually seeing others im pretty sure this wasn't the case...

Many thanks for the helpful suggestion

Stuart

( the problem that i am now having with 1 laptop not seeing the other is an intermittent issue as i successfully accessed said laptop last night) Is this primarily a firewall issue or is this maybe the router giving signals to the firewall to cause the issue??

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 16 of 17

Hi Stuart,

Open McAfee Security Center. Click Navigation.

Click History and Logs.

Click Incoming Events.

Since you can't Export logs, search the logs for 192.168.0. ### entries and do a PrtScrn Snapshot and post the Snapshot, here.

stuchel
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Many thanks for your continued support on this. It is very much appreciated but the issue seems to have disappeared.. (Unsure why and hope i haven't just cursed myself)

The suggestion you have just given I did not even know existed, but I'm pretty sure that if this does happen again that the logs will tell someone on here more knowledgable (yourself ) what is stopping me and how to fix the issue...

I'm sure I will return at some point to resolve this on re-occurance.

Thanks again

Stuart

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community