cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 81 of 192

Re: Firewall blocking Youtube video stream.

But does not disabling the netguard setting in firewall settings do what the above poster did and still has a better firewall than windows? ie keep Mcafee's.

njo
Contributor
Message 82 of 192

I am assuming that someone is actually looking at fixing this. Whilst disabling Net Guard is a workaround that enables my system to work again, I am assuming that the Net Guard functionality is actually something useful that should normally be enabled.

Interestingly, my McAfee software updated last night and needed a re-boot, but the problem with the firewall blocking Youtube video streaming is still happening.

Peacekeeper
Message 83 of 192

Pity I assume you are now on 11.0.649 security centre that has a netguard fix but not this 1. They are looking into it. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

njo
Contributor
Message 84 of 192

Yes, I'm on 11.0.649 Security Centre. The 'About' screen shows that this was updated yesterday. However, the Firwall version (build 12.0.345) has not been updated since 29th November.

Peacekeeper
Message 85 of 192

Ok unsure but I assume they changed the file only so change not worth a build change. That is my feeling not gospel.

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 86 of 192

Tony

I've already PM'd Dinz with the details requested, but after the latest 'reboot' update, noticed the following (don't know if it's relevant) ........ I have 4/5 PC's on a network and one of them is totally unaffected by this (Dinz informed) - after rebooting today, I checked all McAfee details .... the one that is unaffected has a firewall update date of 9/11/11, the others are all later.

However they are all differentr dates ? 12/11/11, 29/11/11, 08/12/11 ??? Also, I found that DAT and CONTENT updates for various McAfee services varied ?? The PC that is unaffected and two that are, are all running Win Vista 32bit, so not sure why this is?? Everything except Netguard is running OK, so not concerned - just curious ????

bdinpec
Former Member
Message 87 of 192

After a month of frustration I found this site. Couldn't belief my McAfee caused all these miseries. I don't know how to find what version of Total Protection I have but it updates very regularly.

I also always allow Adobe Flash to update. The problem wasn't just with You Tube videos but also Google news, many other web sites and even going through the check out steps at Amazon.ca. Disabling Net Guard made my Dell Inspiron 1520 Vista 32 bit run like new again. Had same miseries  on Chrome, Firefox or Windows Explorer 9.Is there any McAfee add on where a pop up would tell you your McAfee protection is blocking a download.. I must have wasted 20 hours uninstalling programs,running clean up programs and searching for cause of this problem.

adventureboy
Former Member
Message 88 of 192

Wow, I am beside myself.  I have gone through a weeks worth of work to format, reformat, install, reinstall windows 7 64 bit to solve this problem and all the while it was McAfee Firewall.  Please add me to the list of affected (and dissapointed) customers.  I am running a fully updated Windows 7 64 bit OS with McAfee Total Protection.

SecurityCentre - 11.0, build 11.0.623

VS - 15.0 build 15.0294

Firewall - 12.0 build 12.0345

Site Advisor - 3.4 - build 3.4.0.143

Anti-Spam - 12.0 build 12.0.292

Anti-Theft - 2.0 build 2.0.403

QuickClean - 11.0 build 11.0.393

This is a clean installation (full partition delete and recreate with fill format and CD install with all applied updates that took nearly the whole day).  The first thing installed following the updates was McAfee Total Protection.  Internet Explorer immetiately exhibited the download symptoms described in this thread.  Firefox (9.0) was installed and verified to exhibit the same symptoms.  Disabling the McAfee Firewall caused downloads to work correctly again.

I have been fighting this thing now for 3 weeks.

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 89 of 192

bdinpec .... my sympathies, you have the same problems as the rest of us. I don't think it's actually blocking downloads, just making everything so sluggish that it times out. To check your versions, open the Security Center, and click 'About' in the top right hand corner.

Blaine91555
Former Member
Message 90 of 192

Hopefully as more and more people realize the cause of their issues they will start posting here in large numbers. It's not a huge thing as we can just disable Net Guard, but the real issue is what we all went through to find out what it was. There is another thread here about the same issue, but different symptom.

IMHO, everyone should have gotten a notice just in case it applies to them out of common courtesy. I've not noticed one, even now that its obviously an issue. I'm positive for everyone who finds this thread, there must be many, many more, including those who are not realizing the cause. Most likely many think ironically they have a virus since in effect this is as bad or worse than most viruses until you find it.

In my case:

Trips at least once a day across town to accomplish downloads for work involving time and a gallon and a half of gas each time.

Work time waiting out downloads while pausing and starting downloads over and over again to get them to finish.

Work time spending many hours trying to figure out what was wrong, including running scans for a suspected virus.

Hours on the phone with my ISP, then four hours of a top tier tech at my home office trying to help me. They also thought it was at their end due to three computers with three OS's all having the same issue.

All told I suppose I'm out fifteen gallons of gas and perhaps twenty five hours of my time. I work on commission and average $50 per hour annually. That is significant enough I think its reasonable of me to wonder why all customers have not been alerted, knowing many are likely still trying to figure out what is wrong and wasting their time searching for what is causing their woes.

Message was edited by: Blaine91555 on 12/21/11 11:21:03 AM GMT-09:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community