cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 41 of 192

Re: Firewall blocking Youtube video stream.

hyble try running with netguard disabled does that improve things? It is in the firewall settings. This to confirm the issue and teh cause.

Blaine91555
Former Member
Message 42 of 192

I've confirmed that Net Guard is causing issues on XP Pro, Vista and Windows 7 64 bit. I use this service on five computers on two seperate ISP's. I find it hard to beleive it's not universal. Perhaps those using a dial up connection or really slow connection may not realize. It exhibits immediatley if you are using very fast connections. Takes those fast connections and makes them act like dial up.

An allert needs to go out to all users. Most won't even realize that Net Guard is the problem. Even top tier techs from my ISP could not figure it out. They are out hundreds in labor as well.

The LEAST McAfee could do is allert all users to the issue. I found it after three weeks of struggling. Had to waste two gallons of gas twice a day running accross town to another computer to do downloads for work, not to mention hours of my time valued at around $50 per hour.

How it exhibits is you find out all of the sudden no matter how fast your connection you have to load any graphics rich page multiple times to get it to load fully. Then you find out that to do a download you have to pause and restart over and over again to finish it. In some cases you cannot even start a download as you can't get the secure page to even open to start it.

I went through Support and sent a message to McAfee yesterday and I'll see if they send an allert out or not.

Between this and the constant issues with Browsers, I'm strongly thinking of checking out another service. I doubt McAfee will reimburse me or my ISP's for our costs caused by Net Guard.

Folks, in my oppinion you DO NOT want to use Net Guard. To test for it try a Speedtest at any site. What you will likely see is the Speedtest will not complete and it will look like it's throttling down. If it does finish you will get only a fraction of your real speed. I just got done appoloigizing to my ISP for the time they put in because of Net Guard.

Message was edited by: Blaine91555 on 12/11/11 12:46:54 PM GMT-09:00
Peacekeeper
Message 43 of 192

The strange thing is netguard does not cause utube issues on my Pcs. I will rechase this issue up tomorrow's call

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 44 of 192

No problems with mine either.  Things to check would be perhaps more than 1 firewall on?  Or some other software that has some sort of internet guard active?  Or is the browser and/or firewall set to other than the default settings.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/12/11 6:40:22 EST PM
dsgn2mfg
Former Member
Message 45 of 192

It is not connection speed.  I pay for 16mps down 4 up, but am well over on any speed test with Firewall off.  And I only have one firewall enabled.  I can't believe McAfee hasn't fixed this yet.  GRRRRR!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 46 of 192

I guess they would if they knew what it was.  Why is it effecting only certain people?

All I can suggest to anyone is to contact Technical Support - it's free.  Linked under Useful Links above.

dsgn2mfg
Former Member
Message 47 of 192

Been there -- done that.  To no avail "turn NetGuard off" helped for about 5 minutes. 

If it is any help it looks like most of the affected users are running higher end machines with 64bit OS.  Maybe it's something relating to that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 48 of 192

So am I running a higher end 64-bit machine and I believe Tony (Peacekeeper) is also - the mystery is, why aren't we seeing it?

Peacekeeper
Message 49 of 192

We will reask at tomorrows mod call.

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 50 of 192

I am running 3 PC's on a network, 2 are effected by this and one has escaped it !!! All are Vista 32bit, also using a netbook with Win 7 32bit that is unaffected.

I contacted Tech Support (as mentioned in a previous post), and all they suggested was a complete re-install, which has not achieved anything.

As others have said here, McAfee should be emailing users explaining this ......... there will be a lot of people out there who won't have a clue what the problem is.

I haven't had as much aggro as Blaine, but I reinstalled my network, got my tel company to do a line check, got my ISP to look into it, spent nearly an hour on Tech chat, did a reinstall - all to no avail, then decided to check with firewall OFF. Everything worked !!! Windows firewall ON - everything worked !!!

The moderators on here do an admirable job, but not all users will be even aware of these forums ... and as I've said before, McAfee are quick enough to send out advertising emails, why not some support to customers that they want to stay loyal. We've now had this problem approx a month, and although I'm sure that they are working on it, it would be nice to have an 'official' response.

I've used McAfee for a lot of years now, and although I've had very few problems, when I have had one they have been an absolute nightmare and taken forever to resolve ........ seems like nothing has changed there !!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community