cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjp63
Contributor III
Message 71 of 77

Re: Firewall Release Name: 16.0 R107 settings for blocked programs missing

Where are all these "new settings" for McAfee firewall? How does the user control outgoing traffic now? If we want to prevent "program.exe" access to the Internet, how do we do it? In the past, McAfee showed a pop-up that program.exe wants access, and we had the choice to allow it access once, allow it access always, or to block it. How do we block it now?
Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 72 of 77

@Venkat_YM 

So you are saying that the advanced firewall is not advanced at all anymore and that McAfee has taken away the ability for us to choose through the software what programs we want to access the internet?  So this firewall is now useless.  Looks like you will be loosing a lot of customers.  Just sad that in January I paid for a 5 year license.

jasonbhug1
Contributor
Message 73 of 77

Incorrect. You claim mcafee firewall handles outbound connection and this is false. It allows any program to  make connections at will with no interference from mcafee at all. I have tested this thoroughly. I would say try yourself but no self respecting IT person would ever use this. But anyone can download any program and that program will connect to anything at will. For a paid product, this is absolutely a useless product. I have more use from freeware. 

The real help would be telling us how we can downgrade to the previous build.

Contributor
Message 74 of 77

Hi all - many tanks for the long and interesting thread.

I have been with McAfee (now TP unlimiterd) for many (many!) years - more than 15 I guess... But now I am really down with it.

I have several installations which I have ever run in the trust, my special firewall settings are active. Now I am setting up two new notebooks where I start from zero - clean install of everything. The first thing with McAfee was to block several internet connections. What an effort to finally find this support thread - and what a disappointment.

The next nice offer from Norton or other will surely bring me off from McAfee.

Sad to say - but don't mess with the customers.

Maybe this setting option comes back before my turn - I am open for it.

Thanks to all contributors so far!

All the best!

Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 75 of 77

McAfee no longer has a firewall that works for the end user to choose what to block.  So if you are looking for a firewall do not choose this product as it still does not work.

devinpifer
Contributor II
Message 76 of 77

Good day friends,

I've been with McAfee for quite a while too — since 2006, I think.  Always been pleased with the service, and I'd never thought of switching until the new "Advanced Firewall" came out this year.

I'm not pleased with it at all because it completely removes user control & appears to allow too much; it certainly isn't the best choice for more advanced users anymore.  The old one was fantastic.  The decision to stick with this new one is a very poor choice.

My LiveSafe subscription is up in March, and I really wish the company would address this meaningfully.  If they don't, I might be changing too. 

Perhaps I'll keep my PC Optimizer subscription or SafeConnect — which I like on my phone — but I'm not going to stick with a crappy firewall that removes my control & doesn't tell me anything.  It's almost like a geeky form of depressing.  😐

Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 77 of 77

@devinpiferUnfortunately there are no plans on changing the firewall to a secure one at all.  So @mcafee will not get any more of my business along with thousands of others.  Poor decision by the company to not have a secure firewall that users can control.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community