cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjp63
Contributor III
Message 31 of 77

Re: Firewall Release Name: 16.0 R107 settings for blocked programs missing

I'm currently using NetLimiter and it's a good one. It might seem a bit complex and confusing at first, but it's quite simple if you use it only as a firewall, and I assume you would. Just about every plan from an ISP offers unlimited data these days, so there's no need to mess with quotas. You can, however, prioritize certain apps, so if you're watching a streaming video that takes a lot of bandwidth, you can give it priority over some background program downloading updates or something.

I use it like I used McAfee's firewall, and paid $19+VAT for a 1-year subscription. 2-year was $29, but I'm hoping McAfee gets things sorted in a year. Basically, you just turn on "blocker mode", and then it asks you whenever an app wants access. You can give the access once by clicking "allow", or you can give it always by selecting "remember". It has excellent statistics and gives a clear view of what's happening at any given time. Unlike McAfee did, it doesn't seem to notice if the app is updated, but you can join the VirusTotal community to get a public API and then connect NetLimiter to VirusTotal, and NetLimiter will scan the executables for viruses and malware using VirusTotal. Of course, since you can see the stats for a long period of time (a day, a week, a month...), you can see whether some app takes more bandwidth than it should, and that's a red flag.

It works well as a firewall - and then some - but it's not an anti-virus or an anti-malware program, so it's not a replacement to McAfee. In your position, having 5 years paid, I'd probably try to get a refund and switch to another security suite that has a proper firewall. Me, I have eight months left in my subscription, so I decided to use McAfee and NetLimiter both. If McAfee manages to sort out this mess and their prices remain reasonable, I'll remove NetLimiter after McAfee works again. If nothing happens, I'll stop paying for both and switch to a competitor. Be that as it may, running both McAfee and NetLimiter hasn't caused any issues, so you might want to download the free trial-version of NetLimiter. At least it gives you an extra month of protection for free, so you shouldn't have anything to lose.
Useless_Program
Contributor II
Message 32 of 77

It is an ILLITERATE downgrade

ALL OF THE FIREWALL RULES SUDDENLY WERE GONE,  AND THE BLOCKED PROGRAMS SUDDENLY HAD AN INTERNET CONNECTION which imposed a HUGE security risk on my pc.

Mcafee is the threat, not the solution.
This is called backstapping!!

Spent HOURS with customer service. The agent promised he could fix that, asked to do a remote session, kept wandering aimlessly and asked me to use windows firewall.
That was his solution.
I am ending my subscription and moving to bit defender.

Useless_Program
Contributor II
Message 33 of 77

It is an ILLITERATE downgrade

ALL OF THE FIREWALL RULES SUDDENLY WERE GONE,  AND THE BLOCKED PROGRAMS SUDDENLY HAD AN INTERNET CONNECTION which imposed a HUGE security risk on my pc.

Mcafee is the threat, not the solution.
This is called backstapping!!

Spent HOURS with customer service. The agent promised he could fix that, asked to do a remote session, kept wandering aimlessly and asked me to use windows firewall.
That was his solution.
I am ending my subscription and moving to bit defender.

Tarek1
Contributor III
Message 34 of 77

I hope we have any reply from McAfee support team

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 35 of 77

i have posted earlier in a reply in this topic the service doc for the New Advanced Firewall for Livesafe/Totalprotection.

McAfee KB - Firewall in new LiveSafe and Total Protection (TS103342)

somewhere in the middle of this doc there is to read;;

how to turn on the New Advanced Firewall

if you click there on the + marking it shows images how to turn on the McAfee Advnced Firewall if it is turned of

and

there is an image to turn on Windows Defender Firewall to get Full Firewall Protection

question;

has anybody seen the image to turn on Windows Defender Firewall ?

i have not and don't know where to look if it is enabled aswell to have Full Protection...................

Tarek1
Contributor III
Message 36 of 77

You are right, this step is unavailable. I never see this option

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 77

Hello @Tarek1 

thanks for checking and coming back here with the outcome.

will notify mcafee mod about it.

unsettling not knowing if both are now enabled or not.........................

tjp63
Contributor III
Message 38 of 77

One quick way to check this is to open Windows Security, go to "Firewall & network protection", and click "Manage providers" on the right. On Antivirus, you should see that McAfee is turned on but Defender Antivirus is turned off. On Firewall, you should see that both, McAfee and Windows Firewall are turned on (on past versions of McAfee, Windows Firewall should be turned off since McAfee still had a proper firewall then). One could say this provides a very false sense of security, considering no-one seems to know what McAfee's current "Advanced Firewall" does, if anything, but at least you'll see both are enabled.

I think what we'd need now is information on whether McAfee actually plans on getting rid of firewall altogether (and yes, I do consider this new "advanced firewall" in its current form to be so useless as to not be suitable to be categorized as a firewall at all), or whether they're just gradually updating the new version and will soon bring back the previous options. If it's the former, I think many would cancel their subscription immediately, because why pay for something you don't get? If it's the latter, some might be willing to wait a while and do some extra tinkering to keep things secure while waiting (for example, turn off "advanced firewall" and handle everything using Defender Firewall settings - or install a third-party firewall, like NetLimiter or GlassWire).
Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 39 of 77

The silence from any moderator from McAfee is telling is that this feature is not comming back.  McAfee disabled this feature most likely because they failed with the last roll out of the alert viewer taking up all the resources and everyone complaining about that.  So why not just remove it, yea that was a bad decision.  So off to a different firewall for me.

Tarek1
Contributor III
Message 40 of 77

I will complete my remaining subscription then move to other security software with good firewall and customer support. Any other firewall solution can be used during that time. Which is the best solution?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community