Re: Firewall Release Name: 16.0 R107 settings for blocked programs missing

where can I find the link to download version 16.0 R108

Thanks

Dasi
Contributor II
Message 12 of 77

Hi

How can I get this version since my McAfee Total Protection has the Advanced Firewall which will not allow me the manage which programs can access the internet.

This vey urgent

Thank you

Dasi

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 77

Hello All,

i have contacted mcafee mod and will contact the concern team about the missing settings.

mcafee mod will response further after receiving updates from the concern team.

phizzle
Contributor II
Message 14 of 77

I'm also really disappointed with this new "advanced" firewall... Hope they bring back a real firewall. But at least I can block in- and outbound connections in the Windows Defender settings - I attached a screenshot. For non German speakers a short explanation for the screenshot: "Eingehende Regeln" = inbound / "Ausgehende Regeln" = outbound. It's the German version of Windows 11 with all (optional) updates (22H2).

I also tried if it really works by blocking iTunes as a test. If I just block inbound traffic, iTunes still connects to the internet and I can play Apple Music and stuff - which, in my understanding, shouldn't be possible if the inbound traffic would actually be blocked.
If I block outbound traffic, iTunes doesn't connect. So for me, it at least works like 50% but with very poor usability.

Tarek1
Contributor III
Message 15 of 77

Firewall is completely useless and all rules previously set are lost. How can I restore firewall? Is there any way to add the firewall features that were present before?

Windows firewall is useless for me. 

Christian_LG
Contributor II
Message 16 of 77

No reaction from McAfee for weeks. They took away an important feature from the paying customer without asking or even warning - I just went away from McAfee and will not continue my payment. Went to a competitor with "360° care" with no regret - full features as before at McAfee. It´s a pitty that McAfee doesn´t even react on customer requests and complaints!

tjp63
Contributor III
Message 17 of 77

I got in touch with McAfee's customer support via chat twice. You can imagine whether they wrote proper English, knew anything about the program (like the fact that there's now something called "Advanced Firewall"), or had any other suggestions than to uninstall and reinstall. I know that this is what passes for customer service in most companies these days, but still, not impressed.

McAfee has now messed up twice with their firewall. The first time was with the previous proper Firewall which suddenly started showing a blank window, then taking 99.9% of system resources, and the only way to recover things was to do a hard reboot (later it became apparent that if you unchecked "access protection" and caught it in time, you could stop McAfee's resource hog from Task Manager, which removed the blank window, but then the program that was requesting access was always granted access, so that wasn't a very good solution). There were many dozens of people affected, but not everyone. McAfee never managed to fix it, until the problem disappeared with these latest updates featuring the "Advanced Firewall" - in other words, they fixed the previous firewall by pretty much removing the firewall entirely, and it seems this does affect everyone.

I've been using McAfee since the days you used it by typing scan.exe, but I also think it's time to switch. There are free anti-virus and anti-malware programs everywhere, but not many good anti-spam programs or firewalls. McAfee already removed their anti-spam, now they basically removed the firewall, so there isn't really much left worth any money here. As far as I'm concerned, a firewall is among the most crucial security features. Not only does it do a lot for your privacy, but no anti-virus is perfect, and if you get infected by some darn crypto-miner or something, a good firewall will inform you of a suspicious program that requests access. This is something McAfee doesn't do anymore, so it offers very little benefit compared to Defender, if any at all.
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 77

i found a service doc that explaines the Advanced Firewall in the New Livesafe and Totalprotection versions.

link;

McAfee KB - Firewall in new LiveSafe and Total Protection (TS103342)

also read the sections marked with +

it gives some mcafee reasoning why it was changed from their point of view.

i would like also like to know the following;

mcafee has introduced new products like McAfee +, , McAfee Advanced, McAfee Premium.

are they also effected with the Firewall changes ect like Livesafe/Totalprotection are ?.....................

tjp63
Contributor III
Message 19 of 77

It seems Total Protection is now McAfee Essential, one step above Basic. In all their new products, they describe the firewall as: "Secure your firewall and block hackers from accessing your home network". That's not really accurate, is it? It's not McAfee firewall blocking hackers from their incoming attacks, it's now Windows Defender. McAfee should block outgoing connections, and it might. I have yet to encounter a single connection blocked by "Advanced Firewall" although the screenshots show it should block everything from Google Adservices onwards.

Nevertheless, it seems that McAfee uses some internal database to identify sites that are not "reputable" and blocks them, and they justify it by saying: "In new LiveSafe and Total Protection, we wanted to make it easier to configure the firewall by only providing the options that the average customer needs". I seem to recall that this was the default on the old firewall, too. You had McAfee's firewall deciding which connections to allow and which to block, you had "Smart Access" turned on by default, and so on. You had to play with the settings a lot to make it "stealth" and turn on all the "ask me to decide" options. If you need to block only what McAfee deems risky, you might as well use Defender on default settings and rely on Microsoft's estimation on which sites and apps are "reputable". I doubt there's that much of a difference there.

The whole point of an additional firewall you pay for is to get control. Control over which programs can access the Internet, how, and when. Just as an example, I use an accounting software that's five-years-old. It has no online banking capabilities, so it doesn't need Internet access, ever, but it checks for updates and applies them by default unless blocked by the firewall. I don't like the new versions so I want to keep using this old one, and the old firewall allowed me to do just that by letting me block the update check. The new one does not, because McAfee apparently has decided the app and the connection are "reputable". And all this happens behind the scenes, without me knowing about it. What's the deal here? Does McAfee expect me to pay for a firewall and then configure the free Windows Defender to block the app? Doesn't make any sense.

Also, let's not forget that the Total Protection has turned into a beta-version in other aspects, as well. Not related to firewall, almost every setting in "General Settings And Alerts" has been removed. "Information Alerts" tab exists, and there's even an "apply" button available, but you can't use the "apply" button because there's no longer a single setting available under that tab.

My opinion is that this is a product that most definitely wasn't ready for public release. I'd imagine most of what McAfee calls "average customers" are happy with Defender or some other freeware, and only the ones wanting more will pay for extra software. Even so, if McAfee wanted to make everything as simple and non-configurable as possible, they should've at least offered a separate "basic" and "advanced" modes. They wouldn't have had to do much extra to make that happen. They already had all the features we're asking for here, but they removed them. A bad move. As a general rule, when you buy a product or a program, you expect it to do everything it does at the time of purchase. Usually it ends up doing a lot more, thanks to updates, but it's extremely rare that an important feature would be removed after purchase. How many would pay to buy a phone that, after a few months, only lets you call some specific numbers that the phone manufacturer has deemed "reputable", or doesn't let you block calls that come from numbers that have, again, deemed "reputable"? I doubt that manufacturer's next model wouldn't be a bestseller...

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 77

another good posting.

for where the new Totalprotection/Livesafe stands in regards to the introduced line of  the McAfee +  products visible on their website i can't tell current.

the info on their website for Livesafe/Totalprotection is not updated for the new versions yet and difficult to check difference with McAfee + versions.

mostly i visit pcmag website and check the latest reviews for  McAfee AV products time from time to check which features were updated/changed or removed.

as you say in version R108 in General settings their is the tab Information Alerts added  but no option to check or uncheck to apply.

i have reported this to a mcafee mod that has informed the concern team about it.

we have probably wait for version R109 and there after and see what has been done in the meantime with users feedback.

on one of my computer i have done a reinstall and version R51 was reinstalled.. it has not updated for 10 days now and i feel much more safer with this legacy version currently.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community