cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 1 of 77

Firewall Release Name: 16.0 R107 settings for blocked programs missing

With this new release for the firewall it has taken away all of our control as to which programs we want to have access to the internet.  I can no longer select a program and change any permissions.  This has made the firewall USELESS!!!!!!!

How do we get this fixed so that I can block specific programs again?

76 Replies
krishna55
Message 2 of 77

Re: Firewall Release Name: 16.0 R107 settings for blocked programs missing

Hi @Srfnken,

Greetings from McAfee.

We have a new version 16.0.108. Kindly check and update your McAfee application. If you dont see the update kindly wait for the new update. We have added the feature back to the program.

Regards,

Krishnamanikandan KS

Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 3 of 77

I tried to force an update to R108 and it will not find this update.  Still at the R107.  How long until I can get this update?

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 77

hello,

thank you for the reaction.

it is difficult to say when you will receive the update since new release updates are always throttle released.

meaning it goes out in batches to the users and therefore it can arrive today,tomorrow or after a few days or some time longer.

the good news is that release of the new version has started.

just kindly wait for it to arrive

tjp63
Contributor III
Message 5 of 77

My version was just updated to 16.0 R108. No change. The firewall is the exact same thing as it was in R107. The only change to R107 is that the R108 now has a cute banner that tells you that you have to create or re-create new inbound rules in Windows Defender Firewall.

I personally could deal with Defender handling incoming connections, but blocking programs from doing outgoing connections is a crucial feature in any firewall. Yeah, it CAN be done with Defender, but not in a very user-friendly manner, and certainly not as simply and easily as with McAfee. It also makes one question that if I have to work with Microsoft's free Defender Firewall at all, why would I pay for McAfee's firewall?

I don't miss things like App Boost, McAfee's VPN is "for emergency situations using mobile in hotels"-only, and I don't care for tracker removers or personal data cleanups. Plenty of better programs out there to do that, even by Microsoft. All I care about is a good firewall, and a better anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-ransomware than Defender. The latter might still hold water, the former does not.

McAfee has made a big deal out of their "protection score". As far as I' m concerned, as long as any program I have can access the Internet whenever they want with me having no say in it, to block or allow them, my "protection score" should be zero. In my opinion, programs that keep "phoning home" are a much bigger security and privacy risk than viruses and malware. McAfee still keeps advertising that their Total Protection has firewall, but in R107 and R108 it really does not. Removing anti-spam was bad enough (no, not everyone uses cloud-based webmail, and no, the ISPs do NOT do a good job with spam), but this is a deal-breaker.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 77

Hi @tjp63 

i received R108 and checked Firewall settings. 

if i open the mcafee Firewall i see at bottem a banner with reference  to Windows Firewall in blue color.

if you click at that the Windows Firewall configuration page is opening where you can create rules for the inbound connections.

the outbound connections are handled by Mcafee and i do not see option to create rules to block programs.

in short is this what you are seeing ?

Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 7 of 77

R108 just updated with a manual update.  The feature that you say will allow blocking of outgoing apps is not in this version, so you are mistaken that this feature was added back in.  This firewall is now useless to me 100%.  And I just renewed with a 5year subscription for multiple devices 4 months ago.  Now its JUNK.

Srfnken
Contributor III
Message 8 of 77

Cuberdude, yes that is what I am seeing too.  No way to block outbound traffic using McAfee for specific programs.

tjp63
Contributor III
Message 9 of 77

Yep, exactly. The firewall has no options, making it completely useless.

Both, version R107 and R108, are like some internal pre-release alpha-versions not meant for distribution. For example, the settings-menu now has only one option, "General Settings", and you have only two settings there. One to wait until PC is idle to do scans or updates, and one for access protection. R108 brought "information alerts" bar there, but when you click on that bar, there are no options there. An expandable section with no options does make it seem like this is a work-in-progress not ready to be released.
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 77

Hello @krishna55 

could you have a look  and assist the users that made postings after receiving version R108 that would have settings back for the Firewall  as you have answered  above ?

maybe the postings could sent as feedback to the concernteam perhaps ?

thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community