Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Few questions about firewall

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I recentley was updated to Mcafee 2010 so i am still getting used to it.I have a couple of questions.First is it true that outgoing only is the default for this firewall?In the past i have seen many discussions on this topic.Somw of which stated that you should allow full access.Although this was maybe for Mcafee 2009?Also under firewall settings.The last item on the bottom says attack detection.When i click it all items say no.For example

attack detection

detect            Name

no                SMBDIE 

no                DNS sesolution

no                ect                                      all the rest were set to no also by default as was enable protection during start up.

any help appreciated               thanks, Jack

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Re: Few questions about firewall

Jump to solution

Ah, I think that figure is cumulative...many programs are allowed only temporarily so each time they ask that would count as another one.  Mine says 193 and I have nowhere near half that installed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

newjack wrote:

Hi guys,

I recentley was updated to Mcafee 2010 so i am still getting used to it.I have a couple of questions.First is it true that outgoing only is the default for this firewall?In the past i have seen many discussions on this topic.Somw of which stated that you should allow full access.Although this was maybe for Mcafee 2009?Also under firewall settings.The last item on the bottom says attack detection.When i click it all items say no.For example

attack detection

detect            Name

no                SMBDIE 

no                DNS sesolution

no                ect                                      all the rest were set to no also by default as was enable protection during start up.

any help appreciated               thanks, Jack

Yes with the 2010 product some changes happened and Outgoing Only became the default but it can be changed case by case of course.  You'll find arguments all over the web on the pros and cons of this and really it's a matter of judgment when and if SecurityCenter pops up and asks.

The items appearing in "Attack Detections" apparently are really old detections that no longer are a problem and should have been removed from the interface but it's a case of someone in the programming department literally forgetting to do it.  Turning them on or off shouldn't make any difference.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/07/10 12:32:08 EDT PM
newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hey Ex-brit, Thanks for answering that.Not sure why that section is on there if it is basically worthless.But i will take your word for it ,as i am sure you have had 2010 a lot longer than i.I have another question While looking at my security report under firewall it says 94 programs allowed.When i go into my permissions section i only see about 25.Can you tell me is there a place i am missing the rest of these programs that are allowed??There is no way i could have 94 as i just reinstalled a week ago.Also i reset defaults yesterday.Thanks for the help i will close out after i can figure out the firewall allowed programs.                                                thanks Jack

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/17/10 4:23:09 PM EDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Not too sure, sorry.  Where are you seeing this 94 figure?  Programs or processes?  Big difference as there could be many processes for each program.

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

On the main interface it says view security report.When you click that it gives you a total account of everything related to Mcafee.And unfortunetly it says 94 programs allowed next to firewall.

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/17/10 4:42:22 PM EDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Ah, I think that figure is cumulative...many programs are allowed only temporarily so each time they ask that would count as another one.  Mine says 193 and I have nowhere near half that installed.

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Ok,thanks Ex-brit I just recieved 2010.still learning my way around.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

I hear you.  This version is a bit off-putting at first.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community