cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJIsaacson
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Digiportal's Choicemail conflict with McA?

Does anyone have any expericence with Digiportal's Choicemail (which is a permission-based anti-spam application)? McA won't let CM run, claiming it's infected with "generic.dx trojan."

According to Digiportal's website, it's a McAfee issue.

I'd been running Choicemail for months, while using Norton, and I just switched over to McAfee, and have run into the problem.

Is anyone here aware of a fix?

Thanks.

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com
8 Replies
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: Digiportal's Choicemail conflict with McA?

hi,

it might be a false positive detection.
check this link and see if it helps...
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=225576&highlight=false+positive
DigiPortal
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

ChoiceMail and McAfee

I work for DigiPortal and we have been trying to contact someone relevant about this issue at McAfee since this morning.

We sent messages and called on the phone - no response from McAfee so far. Very disappointed with this unprofessional behavior.

In the past we had to contact Trend Micro fot example with similar request - we have had a resolution with them within hours of reporting such a problem.

We also had quite a few of our users reporting that they simply switched their AV software to something else - their requests were unanswered as well.

We know where the problem is (it is within the copy protection software which is commonly used in the industry), but for some reason McAfee seems not to care about bugs in their product.

In any case - our users are very educated and understand that this is a McAfee bug.

We have posted a web page just for this instance and will update it if we receive any news from McAfee.

http://www.digiportal.com/support/69-choicemail-and-security-software/464-mcafee-reports-a-virus-in-...
KJIsaacson
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

RE: ChoiceMail and McAfee

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone this morning with McAfee "support."

The first tech told me that the Anti-Spam app in Total Protection wouldn't let ChoiceMail work, so "just uninstall that part of Total Protection and ChoicMail will work." Not.

The second tech flat out told me that the two won't work together, and I had to choose between the two. When I told him that was an unacceptable response, and demanded to talk with a supervisor, he took contact information and said someone would call me. Since I'm traveling tomorrow morning though the weekend, I hope to hear from someone on Monday or Tuesday.

I recently switched from Norton to McAfee because I got fed up with Norton issues. Now I'm saying "hmmmm."

Happy Holidays!

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com
KJIsaacson
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

By the way...

By the way, the suggestion in the ChoiceMail page you link to is not workable. Total Protection 2009's AV app does not allow you to exclude directories from scans.
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

RE: By the way...

sorry for the inconvenience...

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
or
Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100095&lang=en_US&prior_tid=10&AnswerID=16777216&tur...

Hopefully they will OK it and send you an extra.dat to cover the detection.
DigiPortal
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

If you read my original post you will see that I already contacted someone at the exact email address you gave this morning and have yet to hear from them.

I did not submit any files via email yet since I have not heard from anyone.

If your limit of 3Mb limit on the file size a joke!?

Hoe many modern programs do you know that are <3Mb in size? Is McAfee's main executable less than 3Mb in size? Jeez.

Anyway - we are affected by this and our support is overwhelmed with the questions. I assure you though that our users are smart and will understand where the real problem is.

DigiPortal is willing to work with McAfee on this issue. We will send any files you need (the same ones you can download from our website) for testing, but if McAfee does not want to do anything about this issue - we cannot force them to do it. You will lose customers by having an inferior product though.
NO OTHER AV SOFTWARE TODAY Has the same issue and as I said - we already have people switching to other products away from McAfee.
They seem not to be able to even set up a proper exclusions for crying out loud!

I am available any time at the address I already gave to McAfee people to resolve this.

Anyone can reach me at djogon at digiportal.com
DigiPortal
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Submitting a file to virus_research@avertlabs.com simply returns a result that they already have it in the virus engine and that the latest dat file will remove the "threat"

Sigh!
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Reply to their response disputing their findings.

the user from this thread was able to fix the problem.
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=225576&highlight=false+positive
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community