Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jinzi
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Connection Problem for all Java 7 applications with Personal Firewall

This problem has already been discussed in various boards:

Basically, with the latest Java version favoring the IPV6 stack in Windows 7, (x64) Personal Firewall seems to have problems letting the connections push through even if exceptions are already added. (Access is set to "Full")

To recreate, install java 7, and run the program below:

import java.net.Socket;

public class TestConnection {

public static void main(String[] args) {

try {

Socket s=new Socket("www.google.com", 80);

} catch (Exception e) {

System.out.println("Connection fail:"+e);

}

}

}

Save to a TestConnection.java, then compile with javac. Run with "java TestConnection" in the command prompt.

Turning off the firewall allows the connection to push through. Another work around is having java default to the IPV4 stack.

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connection Problem for all Java 7 applications with Personal Firewall

Asked up the line

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

ipv4 or 6 is the purvue of whomever provides your internet connection  - most are still using ipv4 protocol.    The current version of Java is 6 update 29, where is this 7 coming from?

I see from java.com that it's available for developers, but it's been a long standing policy of McAfee not to support anything beta or in testing.

McAfee enters into the picture in two places, firewall permissions for whatever the programme, Netbeans or whatever, and Network and it would have popped up asking for the go ahead in each case.

Probably best you contact Technical Support by phone, it's now a free call, and ask them to escalate it if the first person doesn't know the answer.  I would imagine they will tell you to go back to version 6.

See the link under Useful Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/10/11 7:09:07 EDT AM
jinzi
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Hello Peter, Java 7 was released last July this year. In fact, the latest update have bumped the version to "update 1" (JDK 7u1) (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html) and definitely out of beta. And even if it is still in Beta, I am pretty sure this issue deserves to be studied so that the issue is resolved when the product is finally released.

All Java binaries are already added to the "exception" list so I have a feeling this is a bug. Afterall, if the program is already allowed "FULL ACCESS" to the network, it shouldn't be choosy if the program connect through an IPV4 or IPV6 stack.

Does Mcafee have an official support mail where I can detail this issue? I am not living in the U.S. so calling will be expensive for me. Thanks!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

I think your best bet is to contact Technical Support by phone, it''s now free, so should be the easiest way.  JSE is for developers and JRE is what I was thinking of as the current one for the home user and that is still 6 update 29.  As McAfee merely reflects in SecurityCenter Home Network Defense what's going on in your computer's network settings, I'm not too sure what they can do, but it's worth a try.

From the Philippines its: 1 800 14410188 and it says "A McAfee representative will schedule a call back within 24 hours".                                           

Or the next best bet is Online Chat through the Australian servers here:  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=3081&sg=TS

Email contact isn't recommended as it takes forever to get anything sorted out that way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/10/11 7:07:58 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community