cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
passage
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Confusion re firewall on/off if am sorted or not?

HI all

I'm dealing with sorting out that mcafee / microsoft firewall problem on someone else's computer..... Now I've been reading all the threads here and I'm a bit confused as to what action I should be taking.   the options in the announcements thread don't apply and those that did didn't work.  I haven't yet tried the tutorial or what was recommended (in the 23 page thread) in the main thread post #180

The issue has been the same as with everyone else that the message about the computer being at risk and the firewall is on/off constantly occuring.

Specs: MS XP SP 3; McAfee Total Protection which includes Mcafee security centre version 12.1, build 12.1.353 last update 24/06/2013 personal firewall version 13.1, build 13.1.132 last update 24/5/2013.

I tried the MVP and it identified 4 issues, 2 of which it fixed and 2 it didn't [services not running and service startup type incorrect].  I followed the microsoft use fixit but it couldn't do anything and said there was no problems.  But then after I exited that I was restarting the computer after trying the fixit again it had an update (this computer is set to MS automatic updates for late at night) and installed and eventually shut down.  On reboot there was a big warning bubble from windows security centre under virus protection that mcafee was off  and when I fixed that, mcafee said it was secure and ok and that in mcafee total proection the firewall was on.  I thought problem sorted.

I reviewed the updates from microsoft and KB 2833941 had installed (after a few failures over the last week it seemed).  I in my wisdom and paranoia with this particular machine (because it gives a zillion headaches including other mcafee issues) checked if there was an outstanding update because the computer took forever to shut down and didn't ..... which there was KB 890830.  Now when I installed that update, I was back to square 1.  I tried to look for it in add or remove programmes but I couldn't find that particular KB in there when others were displayed.  I had a few problems then with mcshield (the one part of mcafee I personally hate because you can never stop that process) and that it crashed  - that I know is usually for real time scanning under virus and spyware protection and generally a very high CPU eater - but I'm not sure why as I didn't think it actually could. So in a panic......

I did a system restore and manually downloaded KB2833941 but not KB890830.  So I seem to have the windows firewall working, mcafee says "your computer is secure" giving me green all over the place, when I go into web and email protection it says firewall on (windows says at least 1 firewall is on so I assume this is actually the windows default firewall that is on) on that same menu it says firewall: ON but when I click into it, it says Firewall Off and won't alow to turn on.  I did actually turn off windows firewall as I wondered if that would kick in mcafee or change the status but it didn't make a difference.  It's been years since I actually ever set which firewalll so apologies if I'm a bit dim about that!  

SO I just ran MVT again and looked at the diagnostic report  and under personal firewall product version 13.1.132 it highlights the original 2 errors

Process OK
Service 2 service(s) incorrect
Expected Service State Incorrect
Expected : running
Existing : stopped
Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
Expected Service Startup type Incorrect
Expected : automatic
Existing : disabled
Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

I'm not really sure which of the methods in the announcement I should pursue or even if they are applicable?  or if I'm as fixed and sorted with the problem as I can be?  Am I just as sorted as everyone else is?  The Windows firewall is on, mcafee total protection in the main home page says the firewall is on (but when you look into it, it isn't) so... ? 

If anyone can advise me on the best course of action as I said it's XP SP 3 with mcafee total protection

I think more mysteriously is that I myself on my own laptop have XP SP 3 with ordinary mcafee security centre and I have not had any issues over the length of time all the threads go back to (march / April up to 2 weeks ago on the last post of the main thread on this topic) about this whole problem at all, and this issue only cropped up on this computer I'm working on over the last couple weeks. 

I'm not keen to reinstall mcafee total protection as this actually came as a cd when the owner bought it the software when their old security centre was due for renewal (they had the same as I did but were "encouraged" to upgrade to TP which half they don't use and find difficult to deal with) and got the original disk and currently have an outstanding (and painful issue) with the online backup from mcafee being over quota (which is part of the product I know nothing about) and would not be looking forward to uninstalling and reinstalling except as a very last resort. 

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: Confusion re firewall on/off if am sorted or not?

Reinstalling is easier once the software is installed & activated.   There is always an online account available to install the latest version from.    This FAQ outlines the procedure and includes the cleanup tool to clean up remnants of older versions.  That exercise will often cure most issues.

The MVT was I assume a freshly downloaded one from http://mvt.mcafee.com/ or from the Support pages?   Sometimes running it a few times is necessary.

It was possibly a passing glitch associated with the updates asking for a reboot.

The ultimate answer would come from Technical Support, which is free to phone or use their online chat client, linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

I would try one other thing to be sure your firewall is on.  If you have not already done so, click on the firewall tile on the main McAfee screen and then when the next screen appears, click again on the first box where it says "settings" I believe.  The next screen will say firewall is either "On" or "Off".  If it's "Off" there will be a blue button to turn it on, but it probably will not turn on. 

What I found with my firewall problems is that it was only after clicking on the second "Firewall Settings" tab (which said firewall was "on") and getting the next firewall screen that I saw that, in fact, my firewall was off and I was unable to turn it on.

passage
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Thank you both of you

I'm going to give it another go once I have an opportunity.  I picked up the MVT from somewhere mentioned in the big discussion thread about this issue but will double check on that computer.  So I'll give all suggestions a go, I'm wary of having to do the whole uninstall / reinstall thing only because of anything going wrong so I might have to contact tech support with a fair bit of things.  I wouldn't mind if my laptop had the same problem and I could do it all on mine first - rather than the owner's which is my dad - because at least it would be mine and not his, but despite the fact that I have mcafee security centre I'm not facing the same problem.  Which I don't get at all, given it's the same type of machine, same op system and similar ish mcafee product.  Only difference other than that is that I manually update mcafee long after the notification comes up (repeatedly) due to the inability of the computer to function when it's on automatic (similar problem to having real time scanning on where it eats all CPU and blocks everything) and have had the same MS updates (which are automatic)

Hoping future updates fix the issue !

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Things switching off inexplicably can often be cured by checking for updates (right-click the taskbar icon and select "Check for Updates").

mssusan
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Why would I need to manually check for updates if McAfee software is supposed to do this automatically?

My McAfee firewall has shutdown again after a few months of running o.k.  The last time I went through all the troubleshooting suggestions but the only thing that worked was uninstalling and re-installing McAfee Security Center.

Running Win 8.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

You don't have to as it was simply an afterthought.   Often, expecially if a machine hasn't accessed the Internet for a while, that can cure similar issues.

mssusan
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I log onto the internet almost everyday so that wasn't the issue for me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Good, but if there is still an issue, please contact Technical Support as I suggested earlier.   They may have a quick fix.

mssusan
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I ran Rootkit Remover and Stinger (Full Scan) as McAfee suggests and once again no errors/problems were found. 

So far my manual restart of the McAfee Firewall has stayed on but I don't trust that it will stay on so I check it every time I start-up my PC.  I hope I don't have to uninstall/reinstall as I had to do the first time the McAfee firewall shutdown.

FYI - I just saw the post below from moderator (?)

By the way I just heard that the Virtual Technician has been updated to fix Firewall issues.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

To quote my source:

“Enhanced MVT Functionality Resolves Most RTS/Firewall Disabled Scenarios”

What this means is that when a McAfee core service is either stopped or disabled, MVT will switch the service back to auto-start (if required) and then start the service (if required).  The customer may have to close and re-open McAfee SecurityCenter to see the effect, but a reboot shouldn’t be necessary.

Preliminary reports show good results in resolving these FW and RTS issues.

Bear in mind that MVT will only fix these and other known causes.  If the Firewall or RTS problem is caused by something else other than a stopped or disabled service, then it may not resolve the issue.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community