cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan9463
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Can't uninstall Personal Firewall

I am trying to upgrade my Gateway PC from Vista 32 bit to Widnows 7.  I uninstalled McAfee, but the Widnows upgrade installer keeps giving me a message that the Personal Firewall needs to be uninstalled.  All McAfee folders have been removed, and I've run the cleanup utility from the McAfee support site.  It says uninstall has been scessful, but the windows upgrade program keeps telling me the Personal Firewall needs to be uninstalled.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't uninstall Personal Firewall

Hi dan9463,

Could you please post us with a screen shot of the error  ?Is it  an error that you get during McAfee installation ?

Regards,

dan9463
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

I'm not at the problem computer right now, so it will be several hours before I could get a screen shot. 

But the issue is not trying to install McAfee.  The problem occurs when I try to upgrade the operating system from Vista to Windows 7.  When I start the install disk from Microsoft, during its preparation it stops and displays a window that says it cannot go forward because  the McAfee Personal Firewall needs to be uninstalled.  But I've uninstalled all McAfee programs, deleted all McAfee folders, ran the clean utility from the McAfee site, and the Windows program still says it can't go forward because of the Personal Firewall.  I've rebooted the computer several times, and whatever the obstacle is remains. 

Thanks.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

This is one off issue that has been reported , please check your mail box, I have sent you an email for setting up a call back on this issue . Please have it replied so that we could proceed further with this one

dan9463
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

win7install screenshot.pngHere's the screen shot you requested.  I have uninstalled all mcafee programs, deleted all mcafee folders and run the clean utility from the McAfee website.  A support person called Wed evening and spent about an hour on my computer but couldn't solve the problem.  What can I do next?  Thanks.

johne
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Dan,

I had a similar problem in that the Mcafee removal tool did not remove everything - in particular the Personal Firewall service was still running (and producing errors).

This can be checked using SCM (Control Panel/Administrative tools/Sevices ) to find relevant service – in my case I could see that not only was McAfee Personal Firewall Service active but there but also two instances of the McAfee Application Installer Cleanup services!

I followed the instructions below to delete the MPFS service using Regedit (service name is McMPFSvc)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-remove-an-unwanted-service/

I'd used a registry cleaner first, which made a backup of the registry, but hadn't fixed the problem

But seeing as your post is 2 months old, you've probably fixed the problem!

Regards,

JohnE

dan9463
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Johne

Dinesh K, the McAfee Community Administrator who replied to my post, suggested a few things, but none of them worked either.  So McAfee tech support arrainged for a technician to get into my registry file and make edits.  His first try (lasting about an hour) didn't fix the problem, so he "did some research" and tried again 2 days later.  That time he was able to delete whatever the offender was (it took another hour).  The install of Windows 7 worked fine after that.  So I can't tell you what the problem was, but McAfee fixed it (no charge).  I think he just deleted everything with "mcafee" in it. 

Thanks for following up.  Maybe your advice will help someone else.

Dan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Locking this thread as it is too old to be useful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community