Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carmine
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Anomalous inbound event - "The source IP seems to be your own machine"

Jump to solution

Hello Community,

I appreciate and thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

In the last weeks McAfee blocked a few Inbound Events with the strange statement "The source IP seems to be your own machine".

Often the Inbound Events blocked involve UDP port 5355, at times UDP port 5060 (SIP). In one specific event, the "Host Name" was that of my machine but the "Source IP" definitely was not: 211.4.228.120

I ran full scan and nothing was detected.

Yet, these inboud events do not seem to be alright, especially since they begun all of a sudden (never had this issue before).

I appreciate your kind advice.

Some details:

MS Windows Vista, McAfee Security Center (version 9.15), McAfee VirusScan (version 13.15 dat 6053.0000 engine 5400.1158), McAfee Personal Firewall (version 10.15).

I connect vial AOL dial-up and do not use messenger/voip/remote access, or any of the sort, I limit computer use to Internet browsing and university homework (computer engineering major).

Best regards,

Carmine

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Anomalous inbound event - "The source IP seems to be your own machine"

Jump to solution

I don't think that's anything to worry about - it's most likely your network talking to itself so to speak.

I had to Google the expression in your header and the best answer I found was post #2 in this thread:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic19396.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

I don't think that's anything to worry about - it's most likely your network talking to itself so to speak.

I had to Google the expression in your header and the best answer I found was post #2 in this thread:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic19396.html

Carmine
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you for the explanation and interesting link, Ex_Brit. The event looked curious to me...

Best regards,

Carmine

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

I agree it is odd and I've seen it happen on my machine too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community