Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aswinnen
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

Allow traffic based on source port

Hi,

I've got McAfee Internet Security running on a Windows 10 PC at the doctor's. She also has a Schiller Heart monitor which transfers results from the test via a network connection to the PC. This did'nt work with the firewall active.

I've done some investigations, and my current conclusions are as follows:

- I cannot allow the application as 'allowed', because it uses a 'javaw' which is installed with the Schiller software, not the 'system-wide' known javaw.exe. The system-wide javaw.exe is already allowed.

- I've taken some Wireshark traces to find out what's going on. As far as I could see:

* Communication is done via SNMP (so UDP)

* The first packet in the dialog comes from the monitor (=remote device), with source port 161. The destination port varies each time and is in the higher order range (5xxxx - 6xxxxx).

* I imagine that the PC announces some random port via multicast/broadcast (not caputed in Wireshark due to filter).

I suppose that I could allows UDP traffic on ports 1-65535, but this needs to be to the entire Internet (-> else my DNS queries do not reach the Internet, they are also sourced with a higher order UDP port number). But why installing a firewall if we allow everything?

I've tried allowing port 161, but this seems only to apply to destination ports...

Any other thoughts to get this working ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community