cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlk123
Contributor
Message 31 of 33

Re: A program XYZ needs a free FTP port and a free UDP port thru the Firewall.

@mrepuski
Thank you ... I've written down the steps ... next time I'll test it.

At this moment the eMule runs perfectly .. High ID, eD2K and Kad both are connected. All is green ... and well... and I'm well-fed.

But I don't understand .. why? Is the firewall activ?

I double click the McAfee SecurityCenter Icon to open it.
Then I click "Web- and E-mail-Protection".
Then I click Firewall, which is activ.
Then I open "Internet connections for programs".
I scroll down and find eMule, which has a complete-access and an activ-NetGuard.

I position the cursor on eMule
I click "edit"
Then I see that concerning eMule:
1. access is complete
2. NetGuard is activ.

My questions are:
o what does that mean concerning eMule?
o is the software-firewall activ?
o Is the computer protected?
o what does NetGuard do actually? It's activ ... but what for?
o what are the differences to your way via FTP/UDP-ports?
o can I be satisfied with the actual situation? ... "Don't change an ongoing thing..."

Thank you.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 32 of 33

Hello hlk123

I am glad that eMule is working as desired. Without seeing the confuiguration I can't say forsure which rule(s) are allowing access, It could be a combination of network type, application rules and UPnP.

I think what is happeninf is this

- Your router has a local IP

- Your computer has a local IP

- You have your network set to home or work, This creates an implicete trust to all local IP's

- You have an application rule that allows traffic to and from eMule, either to all IP's or local IP's only

- You have a port forware rule on your router.

Since you trust the routers IP and the traffic for eMule will appear to source from the router the application will function as expected

Difference betweeb you current configuration and my suggestion.

The list off applications allows data to flow to and from your system based on the program and not simply IP and Port. IP and Port rules allow any application to access the data. This is not as secure and an applicaiton rule.

What is NetGuard.

Netguard checks captures the destination IP address and checks to see if the destination is risky. If the destination is found to be risky the connection can be blocked. This protection is based on the reputation about a destination rather than looking at the current activity itself.

Let me know if you have further questions

hlk123
Contributor
Message 33 of 33

@mrepuski

Thank you for your explanation.
You're right.

My router's (local?) IP address is 192.168.0.1
My Dell laptop's IP address is 192.168.0.4

I've configured the router to forward to 192.168.0.4 the following ports:
FTP-ports: 7000 till 7008
UDP-ports: 7010 till 7020

I use DHCP in my LAN although I use static IP address for the router and for my Dell laptop.
DHCP Start IP is 192.168.0.10
DHCP End IP is 192.168.0.199

For my eMule I don't use UPnP.
My eMule uses a FTP-port: 7002 and a UDP-port: 7012.

Now my questions.

You wrote:
"Since you trust the routers IP and the traffic for eMule will appear to source from the router the application will function as expected."

I don't understand that sentence.
It "will appear" to whom?

My problem is:
Sometimes the Kad-Network's Status turns from "Open" to "Firewalled" and the download-rate goes downward (attenuates). Sometimes the UDP Status turns to    "Firewalled".
In an eMule Forum I heard that the reason is my network/firewall is not "clean".
Maybe at that time NetGuard blocked a certain IP address...?

My question concerning NetGuard is:
What do you mean with "destination IP address"?
Do you mean the IP address from whom my eMule gets the data from Internet?
It's random. In a P2P (Peer to Peer file sharing) one has many foes. 

I don't understand your long explanation:
"The list off applications allows data to flow to and from your system based on the program and not simply IP and Port. IP and Port rules allow any application to access the data. This is not as secure and an applicaiton rule."
You explained which method? FTP/UDP or NetGuard Method?

I want that .. ONLY my eMule in my Dell-laptop (not any program in any computer in my LAN) has a free access to/from ports 7002/7012.
Is it possible? Thank you.

Last week I tried your way (TCP/UDP method) .. besides (parallel to) the NetGuard method.
Afterwards my eMule's download-rate took a dip .. as if it was blocked from Internet.
I deleted the TCP/UDP-record .. and the eMule soared again ...
A question to your way/method: where is the name "emule.exe" recorded? .. all programs?

Now I "think"(?) .. I understand the situation better.
I keep the NetGuard-method as long as my eMule works "satisfactorily" .. otherwise I delete the eMule's record in NetGuard and create a "FTP/UDP"-record ... as you've told me.

regards

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community