cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cousins2kuk
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

561 Potentially Malicious Incoming Connections Blocked... And Counting... Help!

Evening all.

I recently had my computer 'Hijacked,' so I put in a new Hard Drive and used the resort disks to go back to an 'out of box state'.

Before connecting to the internet for the first time, went out and bought Mcafee and fully installed it.

Haven't had any viruses come down the line so far. But i am alarmed about the number of potentially malicious incoming Connections blocked. This is rising by the hour. After only 12 hours of being a computer again (as I put a fresh hard disk in this morning), I have had 561 incoming connections blocked!

Is this normal, or am I under serious attack here?

Hope you can help.

Chris

561 blocked.PNG

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: 561 Potentially Malicious Incoming Connections Blocked... And Counting... Help!

That is simply a sampling of what the firewall has blocked and is there purely for information only.  Nothing to worry about.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: 561 Potentially Malicious Incoming Connections Blocked... And Counting... Help!

That's a lot, but some of the IP addresses can probably be allowed. You'll need to do a quick audit of some of the addresses listed to see who they are. McAfee, SiteAdvisor and Microsoft have address ranges that can be allowed. Google, Adobe and so forth - I choose not to allow them in case it's third-party advertising attempting to make a connection (it often is).

If you use AdBlock, DoNotTrackMe, and (in Firefox) NoScript that seems to cut down the connection attempts considerably because those add-ons deny access to various tracking companies.

cousins2kuk
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks for the advice Ex_Brit and Hayton

Chris

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

You're welcome and good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community