cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stannie
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

paid backup won't reinstall

after latest update to Total Protection 2013 my PAID SUBSCRIPTION to online backup fails to complete. 'shadow copy error=o'

Per tech support tried twice to remove both programs, then wipe via MCPR then tried to reinstall paid backup first. Failed both times so now I just have Total Protection running and a useless paid subscription to 'Powered by Mozy'. Help!!

10 Replies
user_174994
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Re: paid backup won't reinstall

Try to reinstall Total Protection without the data backup module. You can do it by choosing "custom" installation.

Then install Online Backup. Check if it works.

Then try to install the Data Backup module of Total Protection.

Then return with any feedback, regardless of it being positive or negative.

System info would be helpfull also.

stannie
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

What downloaded was the Master Installer, which ran, but when executed...McAfee Insatller Stopped Working...so no further progress. I should mention that my Total Protection is under one user name, & my paid subscription is under another one, and it was from this one (the backup one) that I was signed in & downloaded the Backup.

System Info:

Windows 7 Professional,V 6.1.7601 Service pack 1 Build 7601,Dell Studio XPS 7100, x64 based, AMD Phenom II X6 1035 processor, Dell Bios A06, 9/10.2010.SM Bios V 2.6,*GB Memory

Is there some way I can get to a higher tier tech in support becaue I've already spent tpp many hours?

Stan

user_174994
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

If installer crashed that might be because there are some files left from the previous reinstall attempts.

Run MVT which you can find in the "Useful Links" section and provide us with the report.

Steps to do in order to get a clean uninstall:

1. Go to the "Useful Links" Section up in that page and download MCPR.exe, save it in your Desktop

2. Reboot PC and during rebooting press F8 key to go to Boot Options -> Boot in Safe Mode (OPTIONAL)

3. Go to Control Panel and uninstall the product.

4. Reboot (normal or safe mode), run MCPR.exe

5. Reboot and clean folders:

5.1. C:\\Program Files\McAfee - delete everything inside.

5.2. C:\\Program Data\McAfee - delete the whole folder. (C:\\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee if you run Windows XP machine)

5.3. C:\\Users\YourUsername\Appdata\Local\Temp - delete everything which you can identify as a McAfee folder.

6. Reboot again.

7. Proceed to log in into your McAfee account, Download and Install from there.

When you are contacting the support line for your local residency, if T1 Tech support doesn't manage to solve your issues they are supposed to escalate the case to T2.

Regards.

stannie
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I have already spent about 6 hours myself & with Tech and it's just not worth it to go through all these steps by myself. I got no further help from tech so my best move is to abandon the McAfee backup, powered by Mozy. It should not be for me to spend all this time on a program I'm paying for.

I will now investigate alternative cloud services and hopefully they wil install and operate well.

If you know of any conflicts between Total Protection and other party backups please let me know so I can avoid furtrher misery. Thank you.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Please try the below steps and I hope you will be able to resolve the issue

Remove McAfee using the below removal Tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the computer

Install the McAfee Online backup using the below link

https://login.backup.mcafee.com/downloads/MOBK-2_14_2_199-41978.exe

After the installation, it will ask you to configure the Online backup to enter the license key and your email address

I emailed you the license keys to use to configure the backup, so use it accordingly

After configuring the backup try to take a test back and check everything works fine

Once the above is done, reinstall the McAfee security by logging into the McAfee Account

Instead of choosing the complete (recommended) installation, choose custom type of installation and deselect the McAfee Online Backup feature and complete the installation.

Please post back after following the above steps to know the outcome.

stannie
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

As I said before in this forum:

I have already spent about 6 hours myself & with Tech and it's just not worth it to go through all these steps by myself. I got no further help from tech so my best move is to abandon the McAfee backup, powered by Mozy. It should not be for me to spend all this time on a program I'm paying for.

I will now investigate alternative cloud services and hopefully they wil install and operate well.

If you know of any conflicts between Total Protection and other party backups please let me know so I can avoid furtrher misery. Thank you.

SO my comment today is NOW you are telling me yet another and different  way to spend more time to resolve this issue. THIS IS A PAID SUBSCRIPTION  AND I DID NOT CAUSE THE PROBLEM YOU (McAfee) DID,  and if you want to have a level 2 tech work on it, that would be fine with mt BUT I am not spending any more time on it myself as I have no confidence that it will actually work out. 

Do you know of any conflicts between Total Protection and OTHER third party cloud backup systems. If this is not solved in one more week I am moving on.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Hi ,

I have sent you a Private message, requesting you to check the details. Thanks,

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 11

Karthiks is teir 2.5 so please work with him. He will do the install for you if necessary. Check your PM.

stannie
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

On 10/11 I spent several hours with a level 2 Tech, Krishna Nandan, who was competent and actually solved my issue. It required no less tha 6 reboots to my system and essentially required not only a full removal of programs, files, registry keys, etc.  but deletion of any other folders traces, etc.including temp files.

The MOBK was installed as a fee standing program instead of the downloadable one normally available, and then finally reinstalled Total Protection without the free imbedded backup option. I have now run and tested the Backup and it is working. It is not as crisp and user friendly as the original version and seems to take up some more of my computer's overhead... but at least it is diong what I pad for.

Warning to others who are using the paid version and who update their contract on Total Protection: be real carefull to do a manual install of TP and OMIT the free backup service.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community