cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
over
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Will File Lock (part of Total Protection suite) still work in a year?

I'm relatively new to subscription based software, so go easy on me.  I bought Total Protection 2014 some time ago but just got around to using the File Lock vaults.  If I don't renew my license to TP after my year is up, will I still be able to open these vaults on my PC?  (Noticed I could do so even if I disable internet connection, but I imagine there's some kind of time stamp on the app.)  Thanks.

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: Will File Lock (part of Total Protection suite) still work in a year?

As it is part of TP I am unsure best to call customer support see

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

I would imagine that the vaults would always be accessible as long as you can remember the security questions and answers and File Lock is installed, however, it it were me whose subscription was about to run out and if I had no intention of renewing it, I would make sure I had live versions of everything I needed.   Remember you can't clone or copy anything in the vault, only make shortcuts to those files so you would need actual separate full versions in another location of anything stored in there.  Some FAQ's HERE.  Anyway as Peacekeeper states, best ask Customer Service, they can connect you with Technical Support if necessary if they can't answer it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/06/14 8:33:14 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

On second thoughts, I wouldn't run the risk of relying on any software to continue working after a subcription lapses.  The virus protection and firewall portions of it would no longer work so no reason to assume File Lock would.  

So best get the official verdict from support.

over
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Thanks gents.  I do have separate backups but also carry my most important personal docs with me on flash drives.  (Have been down the disaster road.  Once it quite enough.)  I'll call McAfee as suggested.

marksalmoni
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hello - vault become readonly after expiration. You can get at your documents but you can not add anymore files.

Mark

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Mark, that certainly helps a lot 😉

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Mark 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community