Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
run_ragged
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Online Backup does not recognise password

Jump to solution

I am a new user of McAfee products. I have the McAfee Total Protection installed on my computer. The Operating System is Windows 8.1.

Each time I boot the computer, I get a prompt in the systems tray to install Backup Online. I don't require backup online as I already subscribe to a cloud backup product. I have 'looked' everywhere to try and disable this prompt but I could not find a solution. I then decided that perhap if I just installed the software for the backup online service (that comes free with this product), I could resolve the problem that way. When I tried to do this however, the install would not even start because the product 'did not recognise my password'.

All I want to do is stop the icon blinking in my systems tray each and every time I boot the computer. Any suggestions on how to do this please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Online Backup does not recognise password

Jump to solution

When you installed the software maybe you installed all the features. Try opening SecurityCenter and clicking Data Protection and Backup.  What does it say next to Online Backup?

If it says Available then it hasn't been activated and you shouldn't be getting those prompts.   If it says otherwise then it has been activated at some stage and would then remind you to backup.  

By the way the password may be the one you use for your own Windows Admin login.

All I can suggest is uninstall everything "McAfee" via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then go to your online account and reinstall using the Custom option omitting anything you don't need.

Failing that Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and available via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

When you installed the software maybe you installed all the features. Try opening SecurityCenter and clicking Data Protection and Backup.  What does it say next to Online Backup?

If it says Available then it hasn't been activated and you shouldn't be getting those prompts.   If it says otherwise then it has been activated at some stage and would then remind you to backup.  

By the way the password may be the one you use for your own Windows Admin login.

All I can suggest is uninstall everything "McAfee" via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then go to your online account and reinstall using the Custom option omitting anything you don't need.

Failing that Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and available via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution
run_ragged
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Ex Brit. Thanks for your reply.

It says, "Set up now" next to online backup. It is a bit of a mystery as to why backup online is accesssing a different password to the rest of the products in this suite because every other product is 'behaving' itself. Anyway, that is by the by as I have taken your advice and re-installed the software and this has resolved the issue.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Well good luck.  As I suggested maybe uninstall everything and then selectively reinstall after a cleanup.  I've never used any kind of online backup as I don't trust the Cloud that much.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community