cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LewdNinja
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Mcaffe Vault : Recover files after removal of file lock feature

File Lock feature has been removed. Somehow i missed the memo.

But the vault files are still available in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\McAfee File Lock

Is there any way I can use the vault files to get my actual files back?

15 Replies
Smita_Kumari
Message 2 of 16

Re: Mcaffe Vault : Recover files after removal of file lock feature

Hi @LewdNinja ,

Greetings from McAfee,

Sorry for the inconvenience cause. We regret to inform you that once vault features removed, you will not be able to access any of the data/files available in your McAfee vault.

NOTE: Your existing Vaults aren’t removed; they remain on your PC. But your updated McAfee software can no longer open your Vaults.

You can also follow the below mentioned KB article for further details.

Feature Removal: File Lock in McAfee software for Windows

Regards,
Smita

montaguel
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I have the same problem.  I searched all my email from McAfee and there wasn't any notification that this was coming.  I now have no access to massive amounts of data that I have been storing in my vaults.  We better get a tool to at least extract the data from the vaults.

sukrusarilar
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

İf you have Windows restore point, select the date before Feb 28 and restore. İt worked for me .

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 16

Actually was going to suggest similar if you had a backup point via Acronis or similar program before the McAfee update that should work as well

Rajaguru
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Same problem, but i was not even informed or warned about ending of vault, all my important files are trapped in the vault. if they are ending the protection means they should withdraw the protection, how come they lock our files in our own computer itself,  we didn't stored our files in their cloud storage its our own storage in our computer, are they poor in programing, how are they going to secure our computers from virus then if they are technically so poor.

Mozee
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I tried to access my data stored with McAfee File Lock and found that the feature has been discontinued. I received no notification or warning to allow me to retrieve my data. If I understand correctly, McAfee's policy is that since I missed your deadline my data cannot be accessed.  As a developer I understand the need to sunset apps from time to time, but it is simply not acceptable for McAfee to make this data inaccessible.

I need to retrieve the content so that I can store it elsewhere. How can I recover the data stored by McAfee's app in the .vault file? 
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 16

As mentioned above a restore point in February worked for 1 user as a backup point would as well making sure internet off while you access vault as McAfee will try to update. This only way that has worked

Gazpaxo
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Well, this is simply unacceptable. You offer a product, I decide to use it, you decide to stop offering the product, I don't receive the memo and I lose my files? What kind of company does that? Complete disregard for the customer. My renewal comes now in May and I simply don't want to continue giving my money to a company that treats their customers like this.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 16

Have you tried methods above. Ue restore points or backup program. Possible McAfee is releasing a way to get these files but that only mentioned by a poster here.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community