Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 35

Re: McAfee File Lock Blocked by Group Policy

I'll let Selvan be your support here as he is very knowledgeable but just thought I would point out that Group Policy is decided in a Windows Module and the link to an explanation and tutorial is HERE.    Has someone else used the machine at some stage and possibly set such conditions?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 35

Robsoti,

It has just been pointed out to me why you are getting that Group Policy mressage and I should have thought of it myself, sorry.

Access Protection in SecurityCenter itself may be stopping this.  Try toggling it off until you've finished.

Open McAfee SecurityCenter > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts and scroll down to Access Protection and switch it off, at least until this is sorted out.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 23 of 35

Thanks. I will try the access protection idea when I get home.

As to the tutorial, I have windows 7 home premium edition. The group policy editor is only available on the professional and above versions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 35

Yes of course Home Edition is limited in scope.  But I think you'll find what it really means is Access Protection is blocking whatever you are trying to do.   Let's hope that's the case 😉

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 25 of 35

Hi robsoti,

I would like to have a look at your machine to make sure OS health is fine. Seems that there might be traces of the Product even after Uninstallation. We might need to do a Clean Install of McAfee by deleting the traces.

Let me know your best available time so that I can contact you for assisting further..!

robsoti
Contributor
Message 26 of 35

Thanks. I appreciate the help. However It may be awhile, probably next week unfortunately.. I will be going out of town this coming Wed for a few days and I may not have time before then to get into this detail, lots of things to do. I'll let you know when I am available. Hope that is okay.

Thanks for your help.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 27 of 35

Almost forgot. I made a complete system backup prior to attempting the uninstall/reinstall. After the two reinstall failures, I restored the system back to what it was before the two attempts.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 28 of 35

You are Welcome..!

Regards

robsoti
Contributor
Message 29 of 35

So, I am not sure that there would be an residual installations on the system due to the reinstall because of my restore of the previous system backup. Prior to t hat, this installation has been in place (with updates from McAfee) since 2012. Dell Restore asked if I wanted to save any files that had changed since the backup and I said no, so I expect it to be in its original pre-reinstall state.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 30 of 35

I just turned Access protection off and rebooted. File Lock is still a no-go. ABOUT and SECURITY REPORT still don't display anything. I have performed a manual virus update and it keeps coming back saying everything is up-to-date. However I noticed on my other machine (running LIVESAFE in a Window 8.1 OS) it updated yesterday and today.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community