cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aneth
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

I don't mean to revive an old thread, however I must point out our experience. I'm not sure if we originally had installed the Online Backup or not, but we wound up uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee using custom because it kept complaining the Online Backup failed. In the system tray, after opening the Total Protection Center, when I click on Data Protection and Backup, it is requesting to install it, so I figure, great it is not installed. However everytime I reboot the computer, I get a notepad file that pops up with text suggesting that the online backup didn't run or failed. My husband installed on his new Win7 computer (we have a 3 Computer license), and he explicitely unchecked the Online Backup, but after installing all his programs and files, he wound up having to wipe out the whole computer and start the Win7 install again because the Online Backup kept prompting him that the backup failed.

He has been using McAfee products forever, over 20 years, but since this last Total Protection release with integrated Online Backup, he has become leary of the product.

We run a business and we cannot afford to have any of our data leave the confines of our network. This integrated Online Backup thing has to go.

PS> After trying many things from this thread and others, it is our humble opinion that it is far less work and hastle to backup important files to another computer, wipe out your computer and re-install Windows and all your programs. We are now shopping for another AV program even though we still have about 10 months left on this license. Again, we cannot afford the possiblility that McAfee is inadvertently uploading our files to some unknown server without our knowledge or permission.

It is sad that Mcafee has degenerated in this manner.

Message was edited by: aneth on 09/01/12 11:05:25 CST PM
5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

As far as I understand u use custom install to not install backup.. If you use normal it will popup a message to activate it

To uninstall it you need to follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

and use the custom install. I have asked an online backup expert to comment

Also

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100745

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/01/12 7:38:49 PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Sorry for the inconvenience  caused here,  the current  option to  remove Online backup  programs are to uninstall the McAfee security suite altogether and reinstall it without the Online backup feature. Yes, I agree some feel it quite uncomfortable and we have suggested it as a feature request for the upcoming versions .

And, coming back to your issue , if you are referring to the Notepad that opens soon as the PC  boots to desktop as shown below, Kindly follow the below steps and  that should take care of it.

MOBK notepad.jpg

1. Click on Start - Click on Start Search - Click on Run
  2. Type msconfig and press enter
  3. In the MS configuration panel , Go to the tab Start Up
  4. Then, Among the list, go ahead and uncheck any option that says – McAfee Online Back up
  5. Click on Apply and OK
  6. Restart the computer once ,   you would be  prompted by a small notification  from Msconfig to restart the PC –  Check mark on never notify me again and close the pop up

Thread branched to a new discussion

Thanks,

GWE
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

This is taking way too long to resolve-issue a patch to remove the online  backup without needing to uninstall the entire suite.

renren
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Here's a VERY SIMPLE way to eliminate the Notepad message that pops up when your PC is booted (see Dinz's Message #2, above).

Go to  C:\Program Files\McAfeeMOBK and delete the shortcut: McAfee Online Backup Status.

And if  you've also unintentionally triggered the irritating, blinking McAfee-configuration icon in your system tray, you can remove it by going to C:\Program Files\McAfeeMOBK and deleting the shortcut: McAfee Online Backup Configuration.

I've rebooted my PC many times since deleting these two shortcuts (via Windows Explorer).  The Notepad messsage and blinking icon have never reappeared.

PS:  I later came across McAfee's own instructions for deactivating the configuration icon:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100776.

Message was edited by: renren on 8/23/12 11:20:35 AM CDT
poodles5
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Could not find file you sent me to, tried reinstalling via custom, it still installed backup

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community