cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shortgal
Contributor
Message 1 of 75

How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

I tried to use the mcaffee online backup but it said I did not have enough room for my files and that I would have to purchase unlimited storage. I am not purchasing anything.  I contacted the tech. support because I have an icon in my computer where my C and D drive are that says McAffee offline backup and I asked him how to delete it and he started the whole process of reinstalling it and it said the same thing as before over limit, purchase unlimited storage.  I cannot delete that stupid icon.  I am so sick of McAffee but my sub is payed up until Jan. of 2011.

I downloaded the password vault and I couldn't figure out how to use it, so I deleted it.

I guess I will have to delete the mcaffee and reinstall to get rid of that icon or program, the online backup thing.

I am sure switching to another total protection program as soon as this one expires.  It just keeps getting harder and harder to use.  I downloaded the site advisor plus and I got the stupid Yahoo search bar, even though I unchecked it.  I finally got rid of it.

Google is my search engine.  I don't like nor want no yahoo search bar ever. I am sorry for the ranting but I have had it with McAffee.  They have lost a customer.

74 Replies
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

I'm not a product expert but I have moved your post to the Online Backup area. Hopefully someone can help you soon!

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 75

Hi,

Did we check under control panel if mcafee online back up is listed ?
If not please click start – click control panel – then click add/remove programs and check whether Mcafee online back up is installed ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

gary449
Former Member
Message 4 of 75

I installed Online Backup but am not happy with it. It's much too slow to backup and the amount of free storage is not sufficient. How do I uninstall Online Backup? It does not appear in the Add/Remove Program list, and I can't find anything on uninstalling in the McAfee documentation. How do I get rid of Online Backup?

Idonthavetimefo
Former Member
Message 5 of 75

Thankfully, I have not installed Online Backup; however, McAfee says it is installed.  Since I could not uninstall this or any other parts of Mcafee Total Protection (Since the last upgrade, rework, facechange fiasco) I thought I'd click the link to Online Backup and see if it could be uninstalled there.  Nope, it began the actual install/config process which I immediately cancelled.  I have been a customer of McAfee for nearly two decades.  They are looking more and more like they were bought out by some non-tech investment group and are being "optimized" for greater profits.  When my subscription is up I think I'll find somebody better also.  In the old DOS days I loved Peter Norton's stuff, then he sold it to Semantec who just ruined it all.  Looks like Mcafee has succumbed to the investors as well.  Help is a joke... no, its another opportunity to make even more money from the software.  It wasn't that way when they first earned my loyalty.  They have just about spent all of their good credit with me.

Are you listening McAfee?  I'm telling the truth, I have been a loyal customer for nearly 20 years. (It was free early on but I was happy to pay a reasonable amount when that came along).  You have lost much of your value to me and I think there are likely many more people who are thinking these same things.

P.S. I will not have Mosy anywhere on my computers (yes McAfee, I have multiuser licenses) and I want nothing to do with Cirix's GoTo anything.  What were you folks thinking?

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 75

Here All,

I am a Tier III support agent at McAfeee, Your thread was brought to the attention of my group and asigned to me.  I can help with the technical issues and pass along your concerns related to easy of use.

Current Process

We have two versions of McAfee Online Backup, The standalone unlimited online space and the integrated version with limited online space

Removing the application is dependent on the version you are running and if you are running other McAfee security applications

To uninstall the integrated version you will need to run the add remove applet and uninstall the entire suite.
    After removing and restarting the computer you will need to perform a custom install.

To remove the standalone version simply run the add remove applet for this application

Note: If you want to transfer the license from one system to another you should follow the support article below prior to the removal of the application.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100741&lang=en_US

At this time I am not aware of another way to remove the application, I will inquire to see if changes to the settings can be made that would in effect disable the application.
I can't guarantee that other options will be possible but I will try. I will update the post on Thursday with what I have.

I have made a note that the changes to the uninstall process that removed the individual application is creating issues.

Message was edited by: mrepuski on 23/09/10 11:24:37 EDT AM
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 75

Hello All,

Sorry for the delay, I was tied up all day and have only just got back to the forums.

I received some replies to inquires i made relating to uninstalling Online Backup, the emails confirmed that there are two options available to uninstall the application as I mentioned in the first post. The best place for these steps may be within an FAQ, I will work on creating an article and posting a link here when I can.

While working on finding alternatives for the uninstall question I found another option that may be an easier. There is an configuration option within online backup clietn app that allows you to disable backups. This option essentially disables the application and should prevent both messages and the use of system resources. This options shoudl allow most users to regain the system resources and postpone the uninstall for now.

Again I am working on the steps, I hope to have them posted soon.

Message was edited by: mrepuski on 21/07/10 11:04:21 EDT AM
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 75

Hello All,

Here are the steps I promised late yesterday on how to disable the backup service. Please try the steps and let me know if this work around is sufficent.

Steps to suspend McAfee Online Backup

Navigate to the System Tray ( to the left of the clock) at the lower right of the screen

Look for either the McAfee M icon or the Online Backup icon, ( Three arrows in a cirlce within a silver shield)

Clicking on the M icon

Double Click on the M icon

Navigate to and click the Data Protection and Backup Drawer top open it

Click on Online Backup link to open the Online backup status window

Now follow the steps in the section below

Clicking the Online Backup icon or Navigating the Online Backup windows

Click the Configure button to open the Configuration menu, This may take a moment to open

Click on the large Options Button at the top of the window (The button has Two Gears, one large and one small)

Click the Scheduling Tab within the Options section (Option Button background should be darker than the other buttons)

Note: On Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems you will need to click the "Change settings that are currenty unavailable"

navigate to and click the check box for "Temporarily suspend automatic and scheduled backups", lower left side of the window

Click the "Save" button on the Configuration menu

Click the "Hide" button on the Online backup status

I have just updated the steps as I had used some acronyms in the instructions. I do appoligize, it is a bad habbit. If further edits are needed please let me know. identify the section that needs to be updated and I can review the steps again.

Message was edited by: mrepuski on 23/09/10 12:01:40 EDT PM
Silverwizard
Contributor
Message 9 of 75

As a three machine licence holder I thought I would try out the Online Backup Service & proceeded to install it.

At no time prior to the install was I told that to remove the thing involved a total uninstall/reinstall of the entire suite.

Had I been given this information,I would have chosen NOT to install,I think that McAfee are being quite devious using

these "stealth marketing" techniques.

I for one will NOT be renewing my licence upon it's expiry,& will be looking to  "more open & honest" suppliers of my

security software.

It would surely have been a very simple operation to include an uninstaller accessible via add/remove programmes,so why didn't they?,they do with the paid option.

Message was edited by: Silverwizard on 21/07/10 06:52:22 CDT
kay92002
Contributor
Message 10 of 75

Go and download perfect uninstaller it will uninstall mcafee online backup and any other programs that you cant find on the windows add and remove list.

Message was edited by: kay92002 on 7/25/10 6:38:13 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community