cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lchristiani
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Desperately need help with McAfee Vault icon which has replaced my documents

After I received a bad update from McAfee in August which affected my Internet connectivity, I uninstalled the software and then reinstalled it as instructed.  Afterwards, my entire document file was replaced with a McAfee Vault icon, including my Download file.   I called McAfee several times, but they wouldn't take any responsibility and just told me to call Dell.  With tech help from Dell, I've tried many ways to recover the file including Restoring my system to an earlier date and running McAfee's fix.  But the Icon Vault remains and my data is still inaccessible.  Nor can my Dell tech remotely access my system because I can't download the Go To access software  needed to do so.  Likewise, I can't do McAfee chat with their tech help.  I even sent my hard drive to a data recovery service in Novato, CA. to see if they could find my document  files and they were unable to locate them.   I currently have Windows Professional on my computer and if I have to reload the OS, I'll install Windows 7.  But first I want to try to locate my files in case they're just hidden or encrypted.

I I also want to get rid of the vault icon.  Even though I uninstalled all of my McAfee software, it's still there and McAfee's techs won't  take any responsibility or offer any useful advice.  I also paid for a multi-computer subscription and currently have no anti-virus protection on either machine.  I don't want a computer virus, but it can't be any worse than what Total Protection has done to me.

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: Desperately need help with McAfee Vault icon which has replaced my documents

Ok no experience with Mcafee vault etc  Is this happening on both PCs? Ie the download folder is missing thus you cannot install mcafee correct/

I will ask that 1 of the higher techs sort this out for you.. We are talking to them tomorrow Pm Us time.

lchristiani
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: Desperately need help with McAfee Vault icon which has replaced my documents

When I encountered this problem with my computer, I immediately uninstalled McAfee from my husband's machine and did not reinstall it.  It has a different operating system, Windows 7 (my is XP Pro) and was not turned on when I received the bad update.  So I don't think it was affected.   Since it still had internet connectivity and a download file, I was able to download the McAfee correction and copy it onto a memory stick.  I ran the fix on my computer and my internet connectivity  came back, but my files did not.  Then I restored my system to August 17, thinking that might restore my documents.  Instead, it killed my internet connectivity.  When I searched the web from the other computer, I discovered that Aug. 17th was when the bad update was sent out.  So I rolled it back to Aug. 15, but it still didn't help.  However, then I ran the McAfee fix again and my connectivity came back.

But my documents and download file are still inaccessible.

lchristiani
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I just did a search for "McAfee Anti-theft" on my Cdrive.  Once I included hidden files in the search, it brought up a file folder called McAfee Anti-theft which was modified on 8/26/12 (the day my documents disappeared) and a file called McAfee Anti-theft (with a vault-like icon with an red M on it).  The size of the file was 5,310 KB.  The location was C: Documents and Settings\my user name\Temp\Mat.  It seems to indicate that my files are still on the hard drive, but I have no idea how to retrieve them from that location.  Any help would be appreciated, especially from a McAfee tech.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 7

Asking in 5 minutes

lchristiani
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

What did you find out?  It's been nearly 4 hrs. since you sent your message.  Note: the McAfee vault icon replaced my documents after  I downloaded a File Lock Utility when I reinstalled my Total Protection software.   I was never given an opportunity to set up a password and there doesn't seem to be any way to open it and retrieve my documents.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

Sorry I  left it in the hands of a senior mcafee tech who was to organise a call to you to try and sort this out. Karthiks the forum admin should enail or PM you soon. I will chase him up letting him know you are stressing.

We mods are volunteers and that call was 6am my time so my day after the call was full. Karthiks went home around your post time as his work times are 11pm to 8am his time.

If no contact tomorrow post back please

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community