cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NIlesh
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

250GB C Drive Full!!!

I brought the online back up product and started backing up. After the initial back which was done ok all of a sudden I found out that my hard rive which is 250GB was used up completely leaving me only 5gb free. I couldnt figure it out. I checked all my software, my files and they didnt add up to so much.

I though may be its a virus so I reset the whole pc to factory settings and all was ok.  I restored the files back from my back up on an external drive and checked the C drive capacity and it was using only 60gb which was correct. I started the online back up again and to my horror it started doing another initial back which is now taking another week which it took first time and to my horror now my C Drive is showing only 2gb free. So Its definitely the online back up which is clogging it up by creating shadow volumes I would guess. So what do I do. Its showing 8.7gb to back up with 2 days and 12 hours to go. My computer is functioning too slow because there is no space on my C drive.

Please can some on help as to how to free my C Drive.

Nilesh

4 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: 250GB C Drive Full!!!

Hi Nilesh,

Can you please clarify and follow the steps bellow,

What kind of Backup you are trying to do? Open the Online Backup and click on “Sets tab”

Do you have any hidden partician in the hard dirve?

What is the version of Operating system you use?

Steps

Perform the check disk and let us know if you have any bad sectors.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.
  2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  3. Use one of the following procedures:
    • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
    • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.
      Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.
      Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check

MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 3 of 5

Hi NIlesh,

I think sometime it could be because of too much restore points on the drive..

You can try to perform McAfee quick clean,

Important : Check all the options Except :

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (sent items)

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (deleted items)

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (sent items)

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (deleted items)

Else you might end up loosing your mails

Restart the computer.

See if there is any improvement..

Cheers

Merry Christmas.  !!

NIlesh
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Hi Bala,

Many Thanks for your advise.

I did try that out but still had the same problem. Then I had some torturous time with a McAfee Technical guy who logged into my computer and couldnt understand why this was happening. The space that explorer was showing as used on the C drive couldnot match upto the total of individual folders on C drive when added up.

I then took the computer to it factory state and reinstalled everything and then had to wait for 7 days to get all my back up done again which was a nightmare. Finally it all got backed but still have the same problem where at the moment my hard drive is showing used space as  169GB where it should be around 80gb max.

My total back on MOLB is 21.4gb.

I checked the Back Up Sets Tab but it only shows various folders. I have Vista Business Edition.

Please let me know if you have any other sugeestions.

Kind Regards

NIlesh

Message was edited by: NIlesh on 20/01/10 11:07:15 CST
NIlesh
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hi Mahesh,

Many thanks for your kind advice.

I did try it as well but still the same.

Its only happening becuase of the Online Back Up.

Please do let  me know if you have any other suggestions

Kind Regards

Nilesh

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community