cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katiep
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

autorenewal notification

I received an email from a gmail account notifying me that I've been charged $452 for renewal of services. I have never owned a mcaffee product. I tried calling the number but it was disconnected. I assume this was a scam, though it didn't ask me to enter any information so I don't really know how it would get them what they want?! I just want to confirm that this is indeed a scam and not a real email.scam.jpg

2 Replies
krishna55
Message 2 of 3

Re: autorenewal notification

Hi @katiep,

Greetings from McAfee.

The email that you have received is a spam mail and it is not from McAfee. For more information click on the link below.

Fake email

Regards,

Krishnamanikandan KS

jw1739
Contributor III
Message 3 of 3

Re: autorenewal notification

Good morning from Australia.

Yesterday whilst browsing I received a pop-up purporting to be from McAfee inviting me to autorenew. My protection is not expiring in the immediate future and I felt this invitation to be a little premature. It offered a discount for 1-year renewal, and a bigger discount for 2-year renewal. However, there was one sentence that was not worded very professionally and this raised my suspicions. I followed a couple of links to a page that had a tile "Purchase and Renewal" and the invitation to call 1800-879-202 but otherwise the tile was unresponsive to clicking on it. I subsequently found this to be a genuine McAfee number. I decided to call it, and eventually it cut in, but half way through the auto-reply, and went on to give me two options, press 1, or press 2. Neither seemed to be relevant to renewing a subscription. I elected for 2, and nothing happened except after a wait I was advised that the number could not be connected and to try again later. I tried the number twice, once on my smartphone, and once on my landline, but the result was essentially, but mot quite, the same on both occasions.

I don't think that the pop-up leads to a genuine McAfee website, and anyway my understanding is that I'll be contacted by email when my subscription is up for renewal (my current subscription is for 3-years and came with the laptop) but I'd like some feedback from McAfee on whether this is a genuine renewal invitation or an attempted scam.

With the recent major hack of a communications company down here we're very wary.

Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community