cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 31 of 38

Re: Windows live mail compatibility

MAS will correctly tag messages in Windows Live Mail, but only if you're using a standard POP3 account.  If your ISP requires the use of POP3 over SSL, or if you're using Hotmail over HTTP, then it won't filter at this time.

Also just to be clear, you're using Windows Live Mail, and not Windows Live Hotmail right?

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 32 of 38

Yes  I am using Windows Live Mail

viva1
Former Member
Message 33 of 38

ShawnWallace wrote:

MAS will correctly tag messages in Windows Live Mail, but only if you're using a standard POP3 account.  If your ISP requires the use of POP3 over SSL, or if you're using Hotmail over HTTP, then it won't filter at this time.

Also just to be clear, you're using Windows Live Mail, and not Windows Live Hotmail right?

I'm using Windows live Mail in place of Outlook Express connected to the same pop account I had for Outlook Express.  I had the tool bar and it filtered okay using Outlook Express. I'm not using the account for hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo mail or GMX.  It just connects to my Internet service provider to download emails.  I'm sure what POP3 over SSL or Hotmail over HTTP means.  Please advise.

Message was edited by: viva1 on 17/03/10 13:49:23 CDT

Message was edited by: viva1 on 17/03/10 13:50:11 CDT
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 34 of 38

When you right-click on the email account in Live Mail, and select Properties it will bring up a dialog box for that account.

For my Live mail (ie. Hotmail) account, it will says that it's an HTTP server (see picture).  For a POP3 server it would say POP3.  A regular POP3 server would use port 110.

Untitled.png

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 35 of 38

Hi Shawn,

I have 2 PCs

PC1 is on Windows XP and using Outlook Express, POP3 with Port 110 McAfee 2010 security. Spam works fine, toolbar, Spam folder and able to import contacts to friends list.

PC2 is on windows 7 and using Windows Live Mail, POP3 with Port 110 with McAfee 2010. Both machines are  configured exactly the same.

I do not have toolbar, Spam folder or able to import contacts to friends list. Basically it don't work.

I set up a custom filter rule and had someone E-mail me. This message was correctly tagged as spam and placed in my inbox.

ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 36 of 38

That makes sense.  We don't have a toolbar for Windows Live Mail, but your email is still filtered "on the wire" by our service.

I would recommend creating a custom email filter to move anything with [SPAM] in the header to a spam folder.

viva1
Former Member
Message 37 of 38

I'm beginning to get confused by all this.  Are you saying we create a folder named spam as a filter with Windows live mail but even though we have no Mcafee tool bar it still gets filtered. I'm not sure how to do this.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 38

He's saying that in situations like this when MAS can't install a toolbar and its own mail folders it is still possible the have MAS filter mail and have it end up in special folders by creating those folders yourself and then creating a rule to filter mail into that folder when it's marked as spam.  I Googled a couple of tutorials for you but there are dozens on the web.

How to Create Folders In Windows Live Mail

How to Filter Mail to a Special Folder In Windows Live Mail

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community