Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 38

Re: Windows live mail compatibility

No - there isn't much point if Anti-Spam isn't tagging messages anyway.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 22 of 38

Hi Ex Brit

Have sent you PM sorry dont know if possible for you to do as I ask

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 38

That's all right...done.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 38

Meanwhile back at the ranch so to speak...my Tier-3 technical contact is working feverishly on a solution to the WLM/Win 7/MAS missing in action issue.  Just got an email saying that he thinks he knows why it isn't working, which could mean a solution is possible.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 25 of 38

Many Thanks for that Pete.

Received e mail it was tagged as spam and placed in box

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 38

"Tagged as spam"...by what?  MAS or your rule?

I heard from my contact and the news isn't too hopeful for it working in Win 7/WLM.

Okay, I wasn’t sure because I don’t use, or support, WLM very much, so I downloaded and setup WLM, configured it and then ran a trace while it was connecting.

The answer is simple:  as I suspected, the traffic to live.com (hotmail.com etc.) is NOT POP3, which travels over TCP port 110, but over TCP port 80, the same port as HTTP.  Gmail uses TLSv1 (SSL) so their traffic is encrypted.

As stated we support unencrypted POP3 traffic on non-toolbarred email clients – in other words, TCP port 110 only.

If they want this to work now they’ll need to use either an email client that has a toolbar (Thunderbird 2.x, Eudora, Outlook) or use an email provider that uses conventional POP3 connections.

FWIW, I’ve put in requests to support IMAP traffic, Outlook 2010, Thunderbird 3.x but if they get implemented, I doubt it will be until (at least) the 2011 product release.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 27 of 38

By my rule

Once again thanks for your help this evening

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 38

Thanks and good luck...will post if any news.

viva1
Former Member
Message 29 of 38

Thanks Peter.

This should prove interesting to see if Mcafee can get around the WLM issue and Windows 7 issue

on 16/03/10 18:42:01 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 38

Interesting indeed.   The weird part is that I never used Anti-Spam as my mail is filtered externally, but I do have it installed in one of my mutli-boots that has the beta product installed and as I was under the impression that WLM was OK this got me involved.

I'm wondering if it will work at least to filter mail if not provide a toolbar in WLM as long as one is NOT using a Hotmail/MSN/Gmail address at all, as I think that is the snag.  Anyway, hopefully all will be revealed eventually.

I doubt we'll see much movement until the next year's product hits the servers.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/03/10 7:52:41 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community