Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viva1
Former Member
Message 1 of 38

Windows live mail compatibility

Hi

I've just migrated to windows live mail from Outlook express.  My mcafee product is not working with windows live mail there's no Mcafee toolbar and quickclean doesn't erase the deleted emails.  Is this going to be sorted out by the powers that be at Mcafee? or is it just my settings? Had no trouble with Mcafee when I was running outlook express.  I am assuming this will get sorted as more people start using  Windows Live Mail.

Labels (1)
37 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 38

Re: Windows live mail compatibility

I believe that Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, and Thunderbird are the only email programs currently compatible with McAfee. Someone higher up will be able to give more information on this issue. You could contact Technical Support Chat and ask them. They are available 24 hours a day and doesn't cost anything to chat.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 38

Per the product pages:

Supported Email Programs

• POP3 –
    Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, Netscape,
    IncrediMail and Thunderbird
  • MAPI – Outlook
  • Windows Live Mail
  • Web – MSN/Hotmail, or email account with POP3 access

So there shouldn't be a problem.

If you installed McAee while Windows Live Mail (or any other mail client) was active then it would fail to install the toolbar.  In that case uninstall Anti-Spam only by clicking the McAfee SecurityCenter item in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program,  using the custom method uninstall only that portion.

Reboot and go to your account and again using the custom option install only Anti-Spam.

I believe Quickclean only works with Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express/Windows Mail at present but Technical Support Chat will be able to verify that with you.    Available through Useful Links at the top of this page.
devonscouse
Former Member
Message 4 of 38

I too am having problems with Windows Live.

I do not have the Spam Toolbar

No spam folder.

Also unable to import contacts to my friends lists from any of the options give even though I previously had McAfee 2009 installed and running with no problems.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Have uninstalled and re installed the method suggested stated with no other mail client running to no avail.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 38

Try Technical Support Chat available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 6 of 38

Have just finished chat with Tech Support.

Windows Mail is not compatible with Anti Spam 11. and Windows 7

Don't know when or if it will be.

So is it worth running Anti spam on computer if it does not work. So is this a rip off by McAfee?

Message was edited by: devonscouse on 15/03/10 18:28:27 GMT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 38

I will point this on our conference call with McAfee today, thanks for bringing it to our notice.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 38

We were told that for any non-SSL POP3 email client not listed as compatible with the Anti-Spam Toolbar emails should still be marked as "Spam" in the Inbox.  It's then a simple matter to make a rule to filter that email into another manually created folder of choice.

Isn't that happening either?

By the way did you edit your post?  I am positive it said Windows LIVE Mail originally - now it says Windows Mail which IS OK with the toolbar.   If it isn't showing follow the procedure I described earlier.

To get Windows Mail on  Windows 7 involves a hack as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html?ltr=W\
and a further hack to get it to  register as the default mail program and to open .eml etc.  So it isn't surprising that things may not work as they are supposed to.

This thread started as a Windows Live Mail issue now it's getting a bit confusing especially as it is impossible to physically upgrade from Outlook Express to either Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/03/10 5:33:19 EDT PM
viva1
Former Member
Message 9 of 38

Hi

My antispam is part of my security centre 10 download.  I have uninstalled security centre 10 and done a complete Mcafee reinstall of security centre 10 and there is still no antispam tool bar showing with Windows live mail.  Window's live mail isn't shown in the protection options. Will this be sorted out or am I doing something wrong? Outlook express is now out of date and not supported by Microsoft, Windows live mail is now the prime programme for pop email.  Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Message was edited by: viva1 on 15/03/10 19:05:44 CDT

Message was edited by: viva1 on 15/03/10 19:08:15 CDT

Message was edited by: viva1 on 15/03/10 19:09:35 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 38

viva1 I was answering the other person who posted here.   We are still looking into the Windows Live Mail issue and I'll get back to you on that one.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community