cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsmwk
Former Member
Message 41 of 66

Re: Thunderbird 52.0 crashes when updated, need to disable McAfee add-on. Why?

Ouch. I made a mistake going by memory instead of consulting my notes. What is in version 16.x is correct.

Version 2.0 is the old crashy version. Version 3.0 is the new, incremented version which should not crash. They shipped it correctly.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 42 of 66

thank you for your reply wsmwk. it can happen things get mixed up a little bit overtime.....

when i installed Livesafe with antispam 2.0 version it was accepted in thunderbird (don't know the version number anymore at that time) with no crash at that time of installation. ( but i have seen crash messages when i did a complete new fresh install of the entire machine later on)

since it has now got a hard block for antispam version 2.0 ,i do not have the option of disable,enable or remove this old crashy addon myself.

i can click for ; check for updates......but i receive currently no updates available.

my siituation is different from Peacekeeper that rejected the addon during installation.

is there a way to remove the crashy addon in thunderbird ?

my antispam module has version no. 17.1, build 17.1.147 engineversion 3.0.0.429

last update 25th of june

do you know if this vesion should have the AS version 3.0  or do you have a version of more recent date ?

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 43 of 66

wsmwk,

I've been in touch with Wayne from Mozilla.  If that's you, you'll remember that you blocked 2.x and specifically told us, via emails that I still have, that we had to increment the TB plugin to build number to 3.x because 2.x would remain blocked.  We've done that.

If you have any additional concerns, please reply to the most recent email thread.

Thanks

wsmwk
Former Member
Message 44 of 66

I still do not understand the precise mechanism McAfee uses to update or install their addon - McAfee controls it, not Thunderbird.  If someone would explain that would be great.

So if you have updated to 16.0.1 and the version 2.0 extension is stuck there then we need someone from McAfee to explain.  Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing in addon manager?

wsmwk
Former Member
Message 45 of 66

​, you are quite correct and thanks for the clarification.  Sorry for the confusion. I made a mistake in my first posting here about 3.0 of the addon.

If someone could explain what products are involved that would also be helpful.  Heck, I don't even see  Security Center or livesafe listed at Products A-Z | McAfee Products

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 46 of 66

thank you for your answers wsmwk

it is in my native language Dutch, but i hope you can filterout what it is saying..........

i hope that Peacekeeper can confirm of my current antispam module version should provide AS version 3.0

the easiest way is probably to do a reinstall of my antivirus suite if the antispam module is uptodate.......

it would be better if you could update by clicking ; check for updates in the addon in thunderbird itself ofcourse......

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 66

If your Livesafe is 16.0.1 as you mentioned you should get the 3.0 plugin. As I mentioned I did not have AS installed and added the feature opened TB and it was there (3.0 that is). Have you tried disabling AS after shutting done Tb and then re-enabling it and opening TB. I am starting to feel you may need to uninstall / reinstall the product unless   or Doug does not know how to get rid of version 2.0 of the plugin.

Oh I have McAfee all access but that should not make a difference.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 48 of 66

hello Peacekeeper,

thank you for the answers. i have tried your solution but unfortunate it didn't work on this side. the situation is a little different where you had no AS addon installed......

i will wait a few days for doing a complete uninstall/reinstall.

in the meantime i hope a solution is coming up from wsmwk or dougk_t3 that  makes a uninstall/reinstall not necessary perhaps.......

wsmwk
Former Member
Message 49 of 66

​,  Go to your Thunderbird profile using Help, Troubleshooting, Open Folder (next to Profile Folder). Close Thunderbird. Visit the extensions directory and delete the directory for McAfee extension.  Start Thunderbird.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 50 of 66

i have found and done the steps you suggested and visit the extensions directory of thunderbird.

i have double clicked on this extensions directory but i do not see the directory for the McAfee extion inside.............

below is the content if i double click on the folder called extensions above......

have i taken the right steps as you suggested or did i do something wrong perhaps ?......

if i open the troubleshooting page i am seeing this;

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community