Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean70
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Subscription Renewal - Email

Jump to solution

I received an email from McAfee today telling me they will be renewing my subscription within the next 24hours. I am 99% sure it's a scam as I have (no offence McAfee) never purchased this software before. I have however purchased my laptop around a year ago in which McAfee was already installed.

Due to the email have nothing but a phone number to call them on, and being an Australian number (where I am located) there is 1% of uncertainty.

I searched the forum and found very similar issues, but nothing exactly the same as mine.

Can anyone confirm that this is definitely a scam....

Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 8

Re: Subscription Renewal - Email

Jump to solution

Hi @Sean70 

Greetings from McAfee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We would like to inform you that McAfee communicates with the customer with e-mail address ending with (domain) mcafee.com.

For more details kindly refer the article How to recognize and protect yourself from phishing

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @Sean70 

Greetings from McAfee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We would like to inform you that McAfee communicates with the customer with e-mail address ending with (domain) mcafee.com.

For more details kindly refer the article How to recognize and protect yourself from phishing

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

varissul1
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Here's a copy of an email I received this morning.

Fred3
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I don't think this is an adequate response from McAfee. Can McAfee advise how the scammer got our email addresses and knew or suspected we were McAfee clients?  I have had no other phishing attacks in recent times so I am quite alarmed by it.  McAfee needs to be helping our internet security not adding to our vulnerability.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I got 4 emails yesterday all implying my McAfee was expired or nearly so. As I am on a 3 year free trial due to being a volunteer helper here a while back I was aware these were spam emails. They also say my name as the preceding name before the @ in my email.

That said they would have gotten the email from the dark Web from hackers of a friend's PC who had their address book copied or a hack on a firm that you gave your email to.

They guessed you are with McAfee I have gotten similar ones saying my Norton was expired. McAfee emails would come from a mcafee.com address and all links would have a similar address.

Just trying to answer your questions. 

@Hari_durairaj  anything you want to add maybe a link to  legit McAfee addresses.

Hari_durairaj
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

@Peacekeeper 

Greetings!

As you said earlier, we would like to inform you that McAfee communicates with the customer with e-mail address ending with (domain) mcafee.com.

If the e-mail is not legitimate so we request you to move this e-mail to the spam folder so that the sender will be blocked from sending mail to your e-mail address in future.

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

EdCo
Contributor II
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

McAfee was along with your laptop, so it was a offer, you can turn that off somewhere but beside from this, its not scam. Its just the McAfee polices.

FrighteningBug
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

@Hari_durairaj wrote:

Hi @Sean70 

Greetings from McAfee,

For more details kindly refer the article Albertsons Direct2HR How to recognize and protect yourself from phishing

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

Thank you, now this is became much so clear for me!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community