cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steelwheel
Former Member
Message 21 of 35

Re: Spam rules don't appear to update in Mozilla Thunderbird.

thecreator schrieb:

1.) McAfee does not update / upgrade Spam rules for Mozilla Thunderbird. That is for Mozilla to do.

2.) McAfee only updates the filters for sending Emails to the McAfee Anti-Spam Folder or to the InBox.

Just once more ...

McA sends emails (private, "allowed", friends list) to the newly shown (beginning of May or so) "McA Anti-Spam" within TB - TB itself doesn't use it (1.)! Also, there is something called "configuration" to inform McA about a "this is no spam"-mark, that just doesn't work (you can send headers only or the full email). If you "say" McA by "unmark as spam" for a special email, it should work on the next delivery (2.) - if u r right! But it doesn't work at all - the same mail (sender, subject line = development server) ends up in McA's anti-spam folder!! McA still sends "allowed", "friends list", "full domain trust" (and so on) mails to this folder - and not UNTOUCHED to the normal inbox!

To underline my argument I just changed the tag "[spam]" (within McA) to "[McA loves me]" ... the result was exactly as expected and written above.

Your second point is simply ignored or overwrites my usual settings (for business) after updating new filters. Maybe McA uses primary its own filters (always) - after that, there are no further mails to check with my "secondary", so unimportant settings. But normally it should be exactly the other way around - first my settings, anything else on emails with McA filters. It's just an impression after working with it several weeks now ...

But if you are right and I don't understand working like this, it should be the best solution to deactivate a program, that doesn't work as expected.

Thank you anyway for answering.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 22 of 35

steelwheel wrote:

thecreator schrieb:

1.) McAfee does not update / upgrade Spam rules for Mozilla Thunderbird. That is for Mozilla to do.

2.) McAfee only updates the filters for sending Emails to the McAfee Anti-Spam Folder or to the InBox.

Just once more ...

McA sends emails (private, "allowed", friends list) to the newly shown (beginning of May or so) "McA Anti-Spam" within TB - TB itself doesn't use it (1.)! Also, there is something called "configuration" to inform McA about a "this is no spam"-mark, that just doesn't work (you can send headers only or the full email). If you "say" McA by "unmark as spam" for a special email, it should work on the next delivery (2.) - if u r right! But it doesn't work at all - the same mail (sender, subject line = development server) ends up in McA's anti-spam folder!! McA still sends "allowed", "friends list", "full domain trust" (and so on) mails to this folder - and not UNTOUCHED to the normal inbox!

To underline my argument I just changed the tag "[spam]" (within McA) to "[McA loves me]" ... the result was exactly as expected and written above.

Your second point is simply ignored or overwrites my usual settings (for business) after updating new filters. Maybe McA uses primary its own filters (always) - after that, there are no further mails to check with my "secondary", so unimportant settings. But normally it should be exactly the other way around - first my settings, anything else on emails with McA filters. It's just an impression after working with it several weeks now ...

But if you are right and I don't understand working like this, it should be the best solution to deactivate a program, that doesn't work as expected.

Thank you anyway for answering.

Hi steelwheel,

With McAfee Anti-Spam On, this is the way, the process should work.

1. Hit Send/Receive
  2. The Email is sent to the Inbox by Send/Receive, but McAfee Anti-Spam intercepts the emails and processes those emails according to its Spam Protection Level Rules,
  3. The Emails remaining in the Inbox was then processed by the Email Program. If no Rules, the Emails remain in the Inbox.

With McAfee Anti-Spam Off (Disabled), this is the way, the process should work:

1. Hit Send/Receive.
  2. All Emails land in the Inbox and are processed by the rules of your Email program.

What is your copy of McAfee Anti-Spam's Spam Protection Level, set at?

steelwheel
Former Member
Message 23 of 35

Hi again,

but this is the point! If I configure to leave several emails untouched, they are touched ... it's an useless setting!! And McA touching them ... (because of tagging).

Version: 11.5

Build: .145

Last update: 12.05.2011

content version: 3891

content update: just a few seconds ago

module version: 2.20.9149

Updates generally: automatic (all parts)

Setting spam-filter: normally "3" ... since yesterday - as written and because of this thread - at "highest level".

The result is strictly the same - own settings are just ignored; equal to "Herve Qc" (3rd, 5th, 7th posting).

And I have really no idea, what's going on/wrong ... except my own theory about the handling of McA rules first.

Sorry for possibly buggy English (not my primary language).

Thanks again.

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 24 of 35

Just to add some clarity to the issue. First, the subject of this thread is a bit misleading: we are talking about Anti-Spam malfunctioning for TB 3.1.*.

There are two known defects on this regard:

1. There's a filtering problem in some TB scenarios for Anti-Spam versions below 12.0 with TB 3.1.+ . If you have AS version 11.5 or before and have this problem let me know what is your geo location and I'll check when you going to get an update.

Write me a private message if you wish. I believe you should get one shortly, othervise we can create a patch.

2. It could be possible that during large address book imports an incorrect entry made it to the friends list. This defect was fixed, but please check your friend list for incorrect entries - it can be the root of the problem.

Message was edited by: okv on 04/07/11 1:32:23 CDT PM
Herve_Qc
Former Member
Message 25 of 35

Hi,

I am following this post since I am still stuck with this issue since January.

I deleteted my contact list and then created one by one each of my contact but not more than 10, their mails go directly in the SPAM folder ! I do not have any rule set up with TB. Most of unknown senders are not SPAMMED. Why is it working in the wrong way ?

I removed McAfee and reinstalled it, this does not fix anything. I sent me some emails and I am SPAMMED.

I am still waiting a help with the customer support from Europe because I want to have the support in French (I am in Quebec), their business time do not correspond to mine so I am not ready to have a support.

Mcafee.com is also in my contact, here is what I got recently :

[Anti-Spam] New message posted: "Spam rules don't appear to update in Mozilla Thunderbird."

I forgot to unsusbscrib for the automatic payment ! That's a shame for McAfee to not understanding what's going on since the beginning of this year.

From OKV

2. It could be possible that during large address book imports an incorrect entry made it to the friends list. This defect was fixed, but please check your friend list for incorrect entries - it can be the root of the problem.

Why could ? my address book is so small now that I am suspecting McAfee not simply doing its job !

steelwheel
Former Member
Message 26 of 35

Good evening, okv - thanks for answering.

1. geo location: Germany, 53.16791;8.23724 (no missiles, please ^^)

2. friends list: only three entries - because these three send very often emails per day - and every day I unmark their mails, to get new mails as SPAM marked on the next day/same day and so on. ^^ This is ... "not helpful".

I have three "user-defined" rules (twice a mail adress, once a subject line) within McA, too ... equal to one entry in the friendslist, but same result ...

All entries were removed and new written ... but what should I say? I'd not be here if it would work ...

But if you talk about v12.0 - why it's not delivered already? Release date just a few days ago? Are there any more versions "out of date" on my site??? Just wondering ...

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 35

While waiting his reply and I do not use TB so only facilitate getting help here the 1 I can answer is if you do not have AS 12 or rather the 2011 verion that is identified by having "about" on the front page top right it is probably still being throttled for release. IE a certain % users a day gets the new version. Of course if you uninstall reboot then reinstall that will get you the new version.

Uninstall via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reinstall via your account.

That said Germany's release was a while ago. What version of AS and security centre have you? Is it a Mcafee subscription or provided by say dell or your ISP. These type versions do take longer to arrive as they do their own QA testing and Mcafee has no say when they update.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/07/11 8:40:36 AM
steelwheel
Former Member
Message 28 of 35

Good evening,

a few seconds ago TB reported "v5" for downloading and an unsupported plugin is deactivated: McA Anti-Spam 1.0!  I guess this is an "unexpected solution"! ^^ Now it's McA turn again to build a working plugin - maybe this talk continues in a few weeks with other users. And: "Lightning" wasn't compatible, too - an update is already available. *hm*

McA is bought regular online - no DELL, no ISP or else. In 2k6 or 2k7 I visited their shop and bought it directly. But my license is running out (less than 20 days now). Maybe I am not allowed to receive the next version ...

Infos (updates manually checked today - nothing received)

McA SC: 10.5.239 ... last update: 13.06.2011

McA VS: 14.5.130 ... 05.07.11

McA PF: 11.5.141 ... 30.01.11

McA AS: 11.5.145 ... 12.05.11

McA PC: 12.5.113 ... 30.01.11

Online Backup, Shredder and SiteAdvisor are installed, too, but ... ^^

So, TB v5 doesn't support McA - your turn!

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 35

Did you try the uninstall that will get you the new version. So TB is now on v5?

kb2nbn
Former Member
Message 30 of 35

Are you saying that if I uninstall the old extension that it will then download a new one that will work with Thunderbird V5?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community