cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelliott
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

McAfee support for IMAP accounts with Outlook 2013?

Jump to solution

I recently was forced to change my Outlook 2013 to a  IMAP account from POP3 due to continued instabilities with my service provider. Was happy with and understood POP3; and still getting used to IMAP.

I have heard that Mcafee may not support IMAP (which doesn't sound plausible, given its widespread deployment.)  What's the story?

In any event, I don't have an anti- spam folder set up under my Inbox (as with POP3), nor am I able to mark emails as spam, etc.  The McAfee Anti-Spam Toolbar is accessible, though.

Any advice appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
igeh007
Former Member
Message 11 of 12

Re: McAfee support for IMAP accounts with Outlook 2013?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was just looking around and noticed this. There's actually a good reason for why IMAP can't be supported. Every consumer antivirus software and all of its features are designed to protect a computer locally, meaning only the files itself that are within the computer are the ones that the security software can detect and manage. Now from my understanding, IMAP is a protocol wherein your email are only viewed from an email server (in a remote location) through your computer. Therefore, the antispam can't move the emails directly since the emails aren't really in your computer in the first place. For the antispam to do this, it is required that the program be installed in the email server itself. Now for POP I think the emails itself are downloaded to your computer's hard drvie from the email server so in that way, the antispam can move the messages around. I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

best contact tech Support they would be better to answer this

Services and Support for Home and Office

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

The question of iMAP support has been asked for years and the answer we get is always the same: at the moment there is no support for iMAP at all and I don't believe they plan any. only POP3 or MAPi, whatever that is, and some types of web mail.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

jelliott
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Tech Support  gave me the same boilerplate answer.  Must be some tech limitation to have them exclude a significant part of the market.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Years ago it was explained to me that so few use Outlook and iMap that it wasn't worth their effort to accommodation that.  Now I'm not sure that still holds, but Anti-Spam isn't used by that many people apparently, especially now that most webmail providers offer anti-spam filtering.

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Has this advanced since 2014 or not? I installed the anti-spam component of Livesafe on a few PCs today, due to Outlook spam filter not being strong enough to cope with a really annoying and recent spike of spam coming from US domains selling all sorts of crap. I have 4 accounts of which one is Exchange Online, the other 365, the other two being IMAP. The latter two have McAFee anti-spam greyed out in Outlook 2010 whereas the two MS-hosted accounts it's fully available.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

As far as I know, nothing has changed.

(Other than me no longer being a Moderator).

Let's see what has to say when he comes on duty.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Will try to ask in our call today

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Still as far as tech knows though he will check. maybe make a product idea on this.

junk_cia_man_ju
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

This is a feature, I miss in my AllAcess McAfee Product too...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community