cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annonyme
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee asking 2k $ for protecting my pc???

My mom got her pc hacked and than a pop up said to get McAfee and when she got in contact with one of the employee they downloaded somthing on her pc and said she was protected and asked 2k for that now they are harrasing my mom by email for he to pay

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee asking 2k $ for protecting my pc???

Hi @annonyme please share more details like email screenshots and what software got installed over your PC? In ant case I suggest you to run a full scan with McAfee then Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus removal tool. These are free second opinion scanners which may help.

McAfee Fake Browser Popup FAQ

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?locale=&articleId=TS102999&fromSearch=true&page=shell&shell=article-...

Some malicious website shows fake McAfee related popup which are not legitimate and not from McAfee. Go through the above post to know more about it.

Feel free to share more details. I would be happy to help and try to help you remove any virus upto best of my knowledge with some free tools.

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee asking 2k $ for protecting my pc???

@annonyme One more thing did you really have talked to the McAfee employee? Were they asking you to purchase virus removal service? As sometimes people often chat with cybercriminals who are pretending to be McAfee employees who take control of your PC and install malwares. 

The official support website is

https://support.mcafee.com

If your browser is infected with fake popup. Clear all history , select the advanced options and select every check box (caution as it will delete any saved passwords over browser as well) and click on Clear all browsing data. Then 

• Reset Chrome browser settings to default

On your computer, open Chrome.

At the top right, click More. Settings.

At the bottom, click Advanced.

Under the section "Reset," click Reset.

Confirm by clicking Reset. ​

• For Microsoft Edge browser

Open the browser.

Click the 3-dot menu icon at the top right.

A menu should appear. ...

Scroll down to the “Reset Settings” section.

You'll see a button that says “Restore settings to their default values.” Press it.

A pop-up will appear. ...

If you're sure, click “Reset.”

But if your PC is infected with virus or malware and McAfee is not showing any viruses. Then run the second opinion scanners like Norton Power eraser, Kaspersky virus removal tool.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community