cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TJB
Contributor III
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar in Outlook 2003: 3 icons greyed out

This has occurred on 2 machines, one running Win XP SP3, the other running Win 7 Pro SP1, both with Outlook 2003, since the recent updates.  The Win 7 machine has Security Centre 12.1.253 and Anti-Spam 13.1.115, Content Version 4436, Engine version 3.0.0.429. Have not checked versions on the Win XP machine, but both are set to update automatically, so assume they are the same.

All icons on the toolbar display when Outlook is started, but three are almost imediately greyed out:

• Mark selected messages as Spam
  • Mark selected messages as Not Spam
  • Add to Friends List

When a different email is selected in any folder, the icons are displayed normally for a fraction of a second and then those 3 are immediately greyed out again.

Is this a known problem?

9 Replies
mqsuser
Contributor III
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar in Outlook 2003: 3 icons greyed out

These are new features added to the McAfee Anti-Spam where tool bar will be context sensitive to the operation which you can perform on the particular mail.

Once you select a message in inbox then Mark as Spam will become enable. similarly when you select a message in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder then Mark as Not Spam will become enable and other item will become disable or grayed out.

hope this explains why these are behaving differently in 13.1.115 of McAfee Anti-Spam.

TJB
Contributor III
Message 3 of 10

As indicated in my original post, that is not what is happening on my machines.  The same 3 icons are greyed out irrespective of context.

For example, in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder I am unable to:

• Add to Friends List

(and the Mark selected messages as Spam is also greyed out, which is fair enough if context-sensitive).

In the Inbox, I am unable to Mark selected messages as Spam

(and the

• Add to Friends List

icons are also greyed out - fair enough in respect of the former and reasonable in respect of the latter, though I suppose that there is a possibility that one would wish to add to Friends List from the Inbox).

The above applies whether one message is highlighted or more than one.

Interestingly, right-clicking on a message in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder and hovering over the McAfee Anti-Spam option on the context-sensitive menu brings up the 3 options, with Mark as Spam greyed out (this is NOT the case on the toolbar, where all three are greyed out), but right-clicking on a message in the Inbox and hovering over the McAfee Anti-Spam option on the context-sensitive menu brings up all 3 options, with none greyed out (not even Mark as Not Spam, which should not be contextually relevant) whereas all 3 options are greyed out in the toolbar.

Message was edited by: TJB on 19/12/12 11:32:35 GMT
robjr75
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Having the same issue here. Any news? More details here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/272583#272583

on 1/28/13 1:18:58 AM CST
bartmess
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

It's also grayed out in my Outlook 2010. All slection options in the Outlook Home tab in the Mcafee Anti-Spam section are grayed out.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 10

I brought this up again today in our call. I think it was decidedthat a tech will contact 1 or more in these threads and see what is the cause. (ok Mcafee is) but what the fix is

anothermac
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I posted a fix on my Outlook 2003, but I will post here in case some missed it. 

When you start Outlook, right-click on any inbox mail message.  A drop down menu will appear, but do nothing but a left click.  And suddenly, the icons are no longer greyed and they work!  These icons will stay operational until you close Outlook, and you will have to right click-left click again when you re-open Outlook.

user_97394
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Did you ever sort this out as I am in the same situation.  Tried remove and reinstall to no gain.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Locking and closing this thread as it is almost 4 years old. The subject matter refers to an issue with the Consumer Product. If you feel the need , kindly start a thread of your own.

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

I was going to do the same as this thread is specifically about Outlook 2003 which is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Support has ended for Office 2003 - Microsoft Office

Users of the 2003 version should be moving on to a later edition of the software for their own security.

Anyone with a similar issue please start your own new thread and don't forget, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and you can escalate the issue to higher levels of support if at first a solution can't be found.

Peter

Contact Support

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community