Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 20

Re: McAfee Anti-Spam and Thunderbird 5.0

So any1 run this yet??

yanis
Former Member
Message 12 of 20

Hi. I just registered so that I could reply. So this is my first post.

I've just run it as per the instructions about half an hour ago. The installation went fine - no problems at all (and I'm a 58 year old carpenter, not an IT guy). I now have a McAfee Anti Span toolbar and McAfee Anti Span folders in all my e-mail accounts.

So, thus far, looking good.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 13 of 20

yanis,

Good to hear it worked for you. 

Doug K

yanis
Former Member
Message 14 of 20

Update. Just received an update to Thunderbird. The version No is now 7.01 (I think I was on 7.0) and recievd a notification from Thunderbird to the effect that McAfee Anti Spam was not compatible with this version and would be disabled (which it has been).

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 20

OK I assume Mcafee will have to update again. this updates every 3-4 weeks is hard to adjust to but they will come up will something.

yanis
Former Member
Message 16 of 20

Agreed one can hardly blame McAfee for not keeping pace with Thunderbird updates. For me, this isn't any sort of problem as the latest Thunderbird (7.0.1)  seeems to be doing the same job. It's just the terminology that's different - for "Spam" in McAfee read "Junk" in Thunderbird.  So all the stuff that was appearing in my McAfee Anti-Spam folder, now appears in the Thunderbird Junk folder instead.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 17 of 20

Yanis,

You are correct - TB's update broke our toolbar plugin - again.  It's ironic that we had the fix available for TB 5 and 6 available for less than a week when TB upgraded yet again. 

The main problem, as I understand from my discussions with the developers, is that Mozilla keeps changing how a plugin can, um, plug in to their TB toolbar.  I take that to mean that if they kept the same plug-in method consistent, we wouldn't have to keep changing to the new methods.

As for your situation, I 'feel your pain' because I too run TB at home, and was quite happy when we got our fix, only to have it break again when TB 7 rolled out.  <sigh>  FWIW, as soon as I noticed this I emailed the developers and found out that they were aware of the new TB problem and were already working on the new plugin.  At this point, I have no estimate about when it will be ready.

Many email clients have Junk Mail filters and they all opeate slightly differently - some of them work purely on email addresses so you have to 'ban' every single email address that sends you mail you don't want - which is a problem because Spammers usually change their email addresses frequently, often daily.

FYI, for future use, if/when TB gets upgraded the setting for our toolbar gets turned off automatically - so the first thing to try is to open the Anti-Spam Toolbar settings and make sure the Thunderbird option is checked.

I'll update this thread when I hear anything more about the the TB 7.x toolbar plugin.

yanis
Former Member
Message 18 of 20

I hate to say this but there is a Thunderbird 8.0b beta available for download now............

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 20

Yes, I just found this release schedule:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Thunderbird_8

TB 8 - Currently in BETA channel

Moves to RELEASED on November 8, 2011

TB 9 - Currently in EARLYBIRD channel

Moves to BETA on November 8, 2011

TB 10 - Currently in DAILY channel

Moves to EARLYBIRD on November 8, 2011

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 20

As you are probably aware, Mozilla has recently begun making some significant changes in their products, noticeably Firefox and Thunderbird, and also stepped up their release cycle i.e. they have drastically reduced the time between one version and the next.  One of the things they've changed at least twice by my count is the way add-ons can plug into Thunderbird.  We changed the toolbar to support TB 5, and within a few weeks that new plugin was 'broken' (technically, it still worked but Mozilla had changed the technology) by the next release of Thunderbird.  With Thunderbird 7, it appears they have changed the method that the add-ons must use (again).

So we're creating another toolbar plugin for Thunderbird 7+ which is scheduled to be introduced in the 2012 version of Anti-Spam (v.13).

Hope this helps.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community