cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 45

Re: Latest McAfee Security update deletes McAfee Toolbar in Outlook Express

I am on build 218 for security centre so not up with yours yet. My OE did not have the toobar but after I opened security Centre and web and email protection then Anti spam and went to the toobar area. Sure enough the OE was ticked however I re applied it and went back to OE and it was there after reopening it. Does this work for you? Seems there is something amiss Will pass this also up the line.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/12/10 7:42:09 PM
Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 22 of 45

Hi Tony, not sure if your question was addressed to DPNY or me in your last posting re your build no. 218 ?

Anyway, your question prompted me to have a look in my OE Folder  "C:/Program Files/Outlook Express"  and I found it chock full of ANTI SPAM.DBX and DBX Temp Files - must be about 2 gigs of them in total!! Perhaps therein lies a clue? My OE version no. is 6.0.2900.5512.

My McAfee Security Center must surely be the latest version as I have twice downloaded and installed it in the last three days?!

DPNY
Former Member
Message 23 of 45

This is to Tony and Neversaydie,

For the heck of it, I created a new "Identity" under OE6 and switched to it (all I did was create it under my first name and did nothing else). When I switched to it - the toolbar was back. Then, when I switched back to the "Main Identity", it kept the toolbar! HOWEVER, when I went out of OE6 and came back, the toolbar was gone. So, I again switched to the new identity and then back to the Main Identity and got the toolbar back (and the toolbar is fully functional). It is a pain to have to go through all this each time I open OE, but at least I've got a way to get the toolbar functionality back. It appears to be a problem with the new update and the primary/existing OE Identity. Tony, I hope you continue to keep this problem "elevated" so things will work normally again.

New Menu shot below.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: DPNY on 12/16/10 8:48:47 AM CST
okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 24 of 45

I'd like to comment on the subject.

First, it is highly possible other OE plug-in would conflict with McAfee Anti-Spam and you might expect the problems with Anti-Spam functionality.

The problem is OE was built without 3-rd party plug-ins in mind, so each implementation may try to take an ownership of critical resources.

Second, I did test OE with latest update ( Anti-Spam build 11.5.141 ) and it works just fine for me.

From the thread it feels like it is indeed related to McAfee latest update, but there's a chance something was updated on client machine as well.

I will work with DPNY directly to see if we can find solution for this issue.

ARMPLINKER
Former Member
Message 25 of 45

And in THUNDERBIRD.  See my other post.

Peacekeeper
Message 26 of 45

Allen we know the TB 3.* issue there is a fix promised 6 weeks ago and appears to have arrived

Hmm have a read https://community.mcafee.com/message/164828#164828

Do you have these builds?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/12/10 3:41:57 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/12/10 6:44:03 AM
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 27 of 45

I tested this here last night on a Windows XP SP3 machine, and was able to reproduce it around 10% of the time when I launched Outlook Express.  In my case the very first time I launched OE it would always work, and after that it was sporadic.

Without getting into a lot of detail, the root cause has to do with when the plugin tries to intialize itself and load images.  We're working on getting a patch out that will fix the underlying issue, but what I found was that going into the options ( Tools -> Options ) and checking "When starting, go directly to my inbox folder" would help.  The reason is that it causes a tiny delay in the plugin loading that allowed the toolbar to load correctly.

If that doesn't help you, let me know and I'll see if I can get you something in the meantime.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 28 of 45

Hi,

Shawn is one of the experienced Development Manager, since he is working with us he would be updating us with more information .

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

on 12/17/10 1:28:32 PM GMT-06:00
Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 29 of 45

Well it certainly seems as though we are getting somewhere at last and all comments and suggestions have been read and appreciated. I have actually been offered remote assistance from a MacAfee Supervisor, however in view of McAfee's apparent diagnosis, and the promise of a patch, I don't see much point in trying to jump the gun at this stage. A "patch" is actually what I requested in my first posting and since then it appears that the problem has taken on a life of it's own...

One further piece of information that may, or may not, be relevant - until I disabled McAfee Anti-Spam in Security Center, it kept wring large (approx 7MB) "Anti-Spam.dbx" files (124 in total) into my OE folder "C;\Program Files\Outlook Express". This was probably the reason that OE took a lot longer to open, following the installation of the recent large update (the one with the smaller shield icon). I didn't pay much attention at the time as I assumed the updated auto-scan was just doing a more thorough job! Incidentally my OE options have always been selected to go straight to my In box upon opening.

So Merry Christmas everyone - and bring on that patch!!!!!!!!!

YouthfulTruthfu
Former Member
Message 30 of 45

One of the fundamental rules of software patch distribution is to respect the user's configuration selections.  The recent McAfee upgrade distribution did not do this.  It changed my Thunderbird configuration by destroying the contents of my toolbar.  This is unacceptable behavior.  My configuration selections are MINE, not McAfee's to change as they wish.

I had turned off the Anti-Spam feature of McAfee because it did not work.  The recent upgrade turned on.  Again - my configuration settings for McAfee are MINE and should not be changed when McAfee upgrades their product.

It is bad enough when a product ignores certain applications and does not work with them (e.g., Thunderbird).  It is even worse when the configuration selections of the users of the product are destroyed.  McAfee engineers should be ashamed of themselves.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community