Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 1 of 45

Latest McAfee Security update deletes McAfee Toolbar in Outlook Express

Hi,

I am running MS Outlook 2007 with Outlook Express as my default email service. I noticed that after installing McAfee's recent large Security Center update, the McAfee Toolbar disappeared from my Otlook Express. However, it still showed up in Outlook. I tried every trick I knew to get the toolbar back onto Outlook Express and finally achieved success by restoring my XP operating system to the previous week. My feeling of triumph was unfortunately short lived because, as soon as McAfee had updated itself again, the toolbar again vanished from Outlook Express!! McAfee's co-operation in developing a patch to correct this anomoly would be greatly appreciated 🙂 Thanks & regards, "Neversaydie"

44 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 45

Re: Latest McAfee Security update deletes McAfee Toolbar in Outlook Express

Can you elaborate which green toolbar? I assume this was in 2009(9.5) version and you now have 10.5 version? Please confirm your program version number for security centre and virusscan.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/12/10 6:58:09 CST AM
Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 3 of 45

Hi Tony and thanks for responding.

My original OEM version was installed on a Dell computer I purchased early in 2009. I am happy to supply the actual version no. if you can tell me where to locate it. The toolbar in question contained a red "mark as spam" button, a red "mark as not spam" button, and an "add to friends list button. The problem seems to be with the large update I received within the last week, which I guess is the 10.5 version you mention? Does this help?

Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 4 of 45

Sorry - correction to last post - should have read "a red mark as spam button and a GREEN mark as not spam button...

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 45

I've got Outlook Express 6 running and the anti-spam toolbar survived the major update when it came. Have a look at the settings in Security Center under Web & Email Protection - the Anti-Spam Toolbar settings on mine are as shown in the screenshot below.

(Edit - I think this can be moved to Web & Email Protection in Home & Home Office.)

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/12/10 17:04:10 GMT
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 45

They are there in my OE6 on my test box. Open Mcafee and go to Web and email protection/anti spam (should show as on)/Anti-spam toolbar is OE selected?

Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 7 of 45

Thanks Hayton. Yes, I have already done that. The anti spam filter is on and both Outlook and Outlook Express are selected. I have also tried only selecting Outlook Express but it makes no difference. I do not have this problem with Outlook - only Outlook Express and it only happens when the latest auto update from McAfee installs.

Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 8 of 45

Yes Tony - OE is selected - please see my reply to Hayton. Maybe I would be better off uninstalling McAfee Security Centre completely and reinstalling the latest version? Would I be able to do this without further charge? My current subscription still has 6 months to run (even though McAfee has been pestering me to renew it now at a discount).  Being a (reasonably) computer savvy 68 year old retiree, I was tempted to accept the offer until this apparant compatibility problem surfaced. Now I am concerned that all I would be doing is locking myself into another subsciption to my original OEM version that appears to have a compatibilty problem with the latest updates. Any further ideas would be appreciated...

Neversaydie
Former Member
Message 9 of 45

Hey guys, I have just found the attached site on Google but would appreciate confirmation that it is genuine before clicking on the string. If it is genuine, is the patch likely to fix my update/OE toolbar problem ?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/12/10 11:57:02 AM
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 45

I would rather get these from Mcafee site proper direct.

As you have a subscription log into your account  and see it it shows you have ability to download.

I will check tomorrow re OE issue but do suggest an uninstall/ reinstall go. Uninstall via MCPR tool in useful links tab above.

PS removed your attachment for study seems to be a standard recommendation to download MVT virtual technician (go to tech support services ) in useful links tab above and download and run MVT. It can fix issues. It no chop dic recommends teh uninstall reinstall path.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/12/10 11:59:21 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community