cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjbcrawf
Contributor
Message 1 of 43

Can't block messages in Outlook Folders

I'm ignoring the Sticky as I have version 10, build 10.0.185 as of tonight.

After trying various things in order to actually get the anti-spam toolbar into MS Outlook 2003 (had to run the MCPR tool to obliterate past versions of SpamKiller in the end), I find I can't block, or whitelist any messages other than in the 'Inbox' folder.

Like many other people (back me up here!) I use folders in combination with message rules so that message from certain addresses/domains or messages to certain addresses in my Outlook email accounts nicely end up in the right folder.

Try and block and a message that is no longer in the Inbox folder by hitting the button on the toolbar and up comes 'This action can not be performed in the current Outlook folder.'

Am I missing something or does it really not work?

On another note, the add Outlook contacts to the friends list button also gives an error: 'Required data for this action cannot be accessed.' Can't help wondering if this is because I have my contacts organised into folders? It does appear to import everyone in the main Contacts folder, but not the sub-folders within it.
42 Replies
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 2 of 43

RE: Can't block messages in Outlook Folders

Same exact issue. Using Outlook 2007. Can't even do it from the Inbox. Nor can I add my Outlook contacts as friendly. I actually get the same error message.

By the way, it doesn't matter what folder I'm in.

Anyone have a fix for this? Mods?
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 43

Is the email message blank?
mjbcrawf
Contributor
Message 4 of 43

My emails display as normal in Outlook 2003

The 2 issues are:

• Not being able to mark emails as Spam or Not Spam via the Anti-Spam toolbar if they are not in the default 'Inbox' folder - e.g. any subfolder of the Inbox or other Outlook Folder

• Getting an error when you try to add Outlook contacts to the friends list

An update just installed as I was writing this - maybe I'm too optimistic, but you never know.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 43

Keep us updated.......

How many inboxes or email account are configured on the outlook?
mjbcrawf
Contributor
Message 6 of 43

I have 3 POP3 accounts, just one .PST file in use. For email there is 'Inbox' and then 6 other subfolders of Inbox and also the McAfee Anti-Spam folder (which I can't get rid of).

Messages filtered by McAfee end up in my Junk email folder, not the anti-spam folder - (I'm aware that more and more issues are creeping into this thread is as we go on, so I might post other issues in separate threads as I find them.)

Just a thought - Outlook's own junk email filtering wouldn't conflict with Anti-Spam? Do people use both?

On the plus side, the filtering so far has been accurate and effective.
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 7 of 43

Same- no Spam folder- it filters in to the Outlook Junk box and is marked with "SPAM". I have 3 POP accounts.

As for the question about whether the text of the email is blank, I'm not certain how that even applies to the issues here.

1. Can't add all Outlook contacts as supposed to
2. No Spam folder
3. The text from mjbcrawf says it best, except in my case it's Outlook 2007:

After trying various things in order to actually get the anti-spam toolbar into MS Outlook 2003 (had to run the MCPR tool to obliterate past versions of SpamKiller in the end), I find I can't block, or whitelist any messages other than in the 'Inbox' folder.

Like many other people (back me up here!) I use folders in combination with message rules so that message from certain addresses/domains or messages to certain addresses in my Outlook email accounts nicely end up in the right folder.

Try and block and a message that is no longer in the Inbox folder by hitting the button on the toolbar and up comes 'This action can not be performed in the current Outlook folder.'

Am I missing something or does it really not work?

On another note, the add Outlook contacts to the friends list button also gives an error: 'Required data for this action cannot be accessed.' Can't help wondering if this is because I have my contacts organised into folders? It does appear to import everyone in the main Contacts folder, but not the sub-folders within it.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 43

Yes..
Outlook Filters will get preference and if there are rules set up then spam will get filtered but it may land in junk folder or the anti-spam folder and is un predictable thanks to the wy Outllook permissions are set!
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 9 of 43

I believe that that is actually correct, though I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps another Maniac can confirm?
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 10 of 43

I can't block messages even if they are in the Inbox.

I can't block messages or senders anywhere. The toolbar that is integrated into Outlook pulls the same error message no matter what button you click, no matter the folder, screen and so forth. Is McAfee going to address this?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community