cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jw1739
Contributor III
Message 1 of 2

Autorenewal pop-up

Good morning from Australia. New community member here.

Yesterday whilst browsing a pop-up appeared, purporting to be from McAfee, inviting me to renew my LiveSafe subscription, which came with the laptop, and which had "special offers" for both 1-year and 2-year renewal terms. Although my subscription needs to be renewed in due course, it's not yet, and not within one month. Given the recent major hack down here and although never with the hacked company Optus, I proceeded cautiously. A couple of clicks took me to a page purporting to be from McAfee, with a tile entitled "Purchase or Renew" and then the number 1800-879-202, but oddly the actual tile was dead and did not respond to clicking to a page where I could pay. I called the number twice, once from my smartphone, and the second time from my landline. The response was similar both times, but not identical. On both occasions the call eventually connected, but only to a recorded message part-way through - American accent starting with the words "...McAfee Customer Support..." and then giving me two options, to dial 1 for the first, and 2 for the second; neither was relevant to purchase or renewal. I tried 2 from my smartphone, and 1 from my landline. The smartphone call appeared to connect to a real female person who asked who I wanted to speak to, to which I replied McAfee after which there was silence and then a pre-recorded message to the effect that the number could not be connected and try again later. On the landline there was nothing but the "can't be connected try again later " message.

Going back to the purported McAfee page I noted that in one place there was unprofessionally worded sentence with an obvious mistake - I won't say what - and I suspect that the whole pop-up is not a genuine McAfee message. The number to call appears genuine. 

I'd like an answer, if anyone has one. Is this genuine? I can't see the scam, although I think it must be one somewhere, somehow,, and McAfee doesn't have any financial information on me because the subscription came with the laptop. They have just my name and email address.

My understanding is that one month before the subscription expires I will receive an email from McAfee inviting me to renew. Is this correct?

Thank you.

1 Reply
krishna55
Message 2 of 2

Re: Autorenewal pop-up

Hi @jw1739

Greetings from McAfee.

The notification that you have received is a spam link and it is not from McAfee. For more information on auto renewal click on the link below.

Auto renewal

Regards,

Krishnamanikandan KS

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community