cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_42400
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Anti-Spam filter does not move marked Spam automatically to Spam folder

When I mark an email as Spam isn't McAfee supposed to remember that address and the next time an email comes in from that address automatically move it to the McAfee Anti-Spam folder?

10 Replies
Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: Anti-Spam filter does not move marked Spam automatically to Spam folder

Hi John,

Anti-Spam is supposed to be working that way .But incase if the Email Address has some minor changes like uppper caser and lower case combination then it might have problem in idenfiying the Email Address previously marked as Spam.

Regards,

Mohan.B

johndh
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Emails from exactly the same address, that I have previoously marked as Spam before, continue to go right through to the in-box.

marciabeth
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I am having the exact same experience. I had Kaspersky for three years and switched to McAfee because it had such good ratings, but I am very unimpressed. Kaspersky had an email "train" button that would scan everything you had in Spam and make sure future emails with the same address went there. I keep marking mail as "Spam" and then next day I get two or more emials from the exact same address. This is really annoying. Any suggestions?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

Could you please check whether the McAfeeAntispam option are configured as below:

Open security center,

Click email & Im, click configure to the right pane

Click Advanced for spam protection

Check whether put spam mails in this folder is been selected for McAfeeAntispam folder.

Regards,

Dinesh K

marciabeth
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

That was the first thing I checked before I posted the message. It is very inconsistent. Some things are finally going into Spam, but others, no matter how many times I mark some, they still end up in my Inbox. The email address is the same (e.g. LampsPlus and LandsEnd) but they still end up in my Inbox.

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 11

Anti-Spam would not add address of the messages marked as spam to any sort of black list. Imagine you friend got a virus which is sending spam on his behalf. Once he recovers you may miss mail from him, as it will go to spam folder directly.Sometimes there are newsletters which are very spam-alike and could be defined as such, but this is not sufficient to block all messages from the same mailer.

Still you can define a custom filter in Anti-Spam settings which can block message by checking its subject, sender, body, etc. This is very simple and straightforward way to confront undesired messages in this case.

On the other hand, when you mark message as spam, depending on your settings, its headers and possibly body are submitted to our spam database, and this adjusts our filtering in turn.

marciabeth
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

That seem like a rather tedious way to set a spam filter, but I am willing to do it because afetr having McAfee for almost 6 months I am still spending time cleaning crap from my email.

How do I set this custom filter?

johndh
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Now I've lost the McAfee tool bar in Outlook.  How do I get that back?

Bins384
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

If you have McAfee 13.5 version (2009)

Open McAfee > Click on Email and IM > click on configure >

Click on advanced > click on Email toolbars > Check mark on Outlook 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community