Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NM1999
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

An email scam?

Jump to solution

Today I received an email titled "Payment Regarding mail Receipt [random letter and numbers]" that said that the company has withdrawn 326.66$ (for, apparently, a "McAfee Total Protection + VPN Support (3 yrs.) Plan") from my account (which account? As far as I'm aware, none. I don't have even use paid McAfee, not to even mention having a bank account connected). Then, it says this: 

"If you didn’t authorize this charge, you have 48 hours from the date of transaction to open a dispute against this charge and claim for a refund. For more information about this order or to cancel your subscription with McAfee reach us out on our Toll-Free No [phone number from the US]" (I am, by the way, from Poland)

I'm almost certain this is a scam, and thus I'm gonna flag it as such and not reply, but I just want to make sure and maybe bring this to someone's attention. Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaneshR
Message 2 of 7

Re: An email scam?

Jump to solution

Hi @NM1999 

Greetings from McAfee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We would like to inform you that McAfee communicates with the customer with e-mail address ending with (domain) mcafee.com.

This e-mail is not legitimate so we request you to move this e-mail to the spam folder so that the sender will be blocked from sending mail to your e-mail address in future.

For more details kindly refer the article How to recognize and protect yourself from phishing

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @NM1999 

Greetings from McAfee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We would like to inform you that McAfee communicates with the customer with e-mail address ending with (domain) mcafee.com.

This e-mail is not legitimate so we request you to move this e-mail to the spam folder so that the sender will be blocked from sending mail to your e-mail address in future.

For more details kindly refer the article How to recognize and protect yourself from phishing

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

Piera
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Another email scam

Jump to solution

I just opened an email from information-McAfee that auto-launched a PDF file.  It had McAfee's name, said I was charged $246, but it had no other identifying information.  I sent to Gmail's spam.  

However, can malware be launched from an auto-opening PDF?  If so, how do I clean?  You would know...

Thank you,

p

MAWB
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution
I have the same email but mine was for $499.99. I reported it to Outloook as phishing, blocked the sender (even though I know they will send more emails but under different URL. One difference for me though was the phone number I was supposed to call to cancel the transaction is the same as the phone number I got last week and yesterday supposedly from Geek Squad.. These guys are sending out emails for more than one company and think no one will notice the call back number being the same.
I also called my bank and even though the email said the transaction was done, nothing had happened in my account. The bank fraud person said if they had my card number and this was legitimate, they would have included a portion of the number in the message. Don't know if that is 100% accurate so you need to check you bank account once you get this kind of email. Also, you can report these incidences to the FBI. I did that when I got hit by the Cerber Ransomware virus (did not pay and lost all my files as a result), but ultimately someone was arrested and the FBI kept me informed.
fls81
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution
I just received an email dated May 16, 2022 from "McAfee Antivirus" at [not one of McAfee's addresses so have to delete it] "thanking" me for purchasing $499.99 worth of protection (4 years, 4 devices).<br><br>If they know enough to send that fake email, do they know enough to take that amount from my debit card account? <br><br>My credit union declines to put a hold on any such attempt, though they've done so, successfully, in similar situations in the past.<br>
alex1234
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, because the emails are all from spoofed email addresses, blocking has no effect. I've been getting 5-6 "Your McAfee subscription has expired" or similar emails a day. Any thoughts?? Many bad actors are giving your company a really bad name.

ScorpioVyxyn
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I too received this scam email, but mine came from Paypal, which was a bit worrying. I always Google anything I may ? & saw 'mcafee email scam' come up when I started typing, so that set my mind at ease once I read this feed. Gotta stay on your toes to stay ahead of these losers constantly trying to scam us. If they'd put half as much effort into doing something legit, this world would be a much better place for all of us. Cheers!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community