Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piratedog
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

virus not detected by scan

Hello!

I just installed McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010.  I ran a full scan but it did not pick up a bothersome virus I have.  I believe it is called Triplexfeed.  When you use Google to search for something and click on a site, it get redirected to a totally different site.  McAfee didn't find it during the scan, so how can I get rid of this?

5 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

Re: virus not detected by scan

Try the steps posted at Bleepingcomputers in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic293520.html by "boopme"

sunvit
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I would like to know the following things:

When you have done a full scan of the system, was your computer connected to the internet ? If you feel that one of the exe files ot file is causing the problem , please zip the file and password protect it with password- infected and send it to virus_research@avertlabs.com via email. They would release a .dat file in hours and then you could do a full scan again and clean your system.

piratedog
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Yes, I was connected to the internet at the time.  I searched McAfee's virus Library and did not see Triplexfeed listed, yet at other web sites, it looks like it's been around for awhile.  How do you find it to send it? How do you "zip" it?  Sorry for being ignorant.

I saw the Bleepingcomputer site, but did not know if it was trustworthy to try.  I don't want to mess up my computer more....

sunvit
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

You could zip any file right cliking on that and then use the options avaialble. Please do the following things:

1. Please narrate the indications of the infected system
  2. Please give me the excat messages popping up, like screen shots
  3. Select a file that you feel is infected zip it and send it my email ID-  Removed by mod
  4. Tell me the details of how you think you have got infected:
      1. If through web site, give the excat web address
      2. If through email attchement, pass me the email attachement.

Then we will work out some option to cure your system.

Please send all these details to my email ID mentioned above.

Message was edited by: Dinz for security purpose on 2/16/10 7:11:17 AM GMT-06:00
piratedog
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks so  much for taking an interest in my problem.  I do not know how I got the virus.  About a week ago, I noticed a pop-up that said I was infected with a virus.  I thought this was weird since I have a pop-up stopper.  It had a scanning icon that looked like it was rapidly scanning my computer.  I tried to quit the screen as fast as I could.  I did not recognize the name of the supposed software company that flashed on the pop-up, nor do I remember it.  Like I said I tried to shut it down quickly.  Then I noticed that everytime I googled a topic and clicked on a web site, I was redirected to some random site.  A different site every time.  The only time I can successfully get to a googled site is to copy and paste the URL.

I do not know how to find the virus file to send to you.  I did a file search typing in "Triplexfeed", "Triple x feed" and "Triple xfeed".  Nothing showed up.  I saw that someone posted a comment on Google about google searches being hijacked dated September 2005.  Wouldn't there be a cure by now??

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community